The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yah, I'd love to know the best sources of bristle nose plecos, and I'd also love to know what is considered the smallest tank to allow a pair to breed in.

I really like bristle nose plecos, and they seem like the kind of fish that I'd always want to have around, in the same way I always like having MTS snails around.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Male BN care for the eggs and when they are breeding can be quite territorial toward other males. One female can keep 3 males guarding nests. She will mate with all three of them and keep them at home caring for the kids.

I wouldn't try breeding them in less than a group of 3 or 4 in a 75 gallon tank. They can have as many as 100 fry so the larger tank size helps.

As for the best source, you'll want to look for some locally bred ones from a few different sources. They are more likely to be adapted to your local water conditions.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wish you were closer - I've still got 9 of my last spawn.

My BNs spawn in anything - this last time was a 20L. Males will disappear into whatever cave or log you've provided for egglaying and you won't see him come out to eat. That'll be your first indication that something is up.

I've had two spawns in this tank and both were in the area of 15-20 live fry after a week. Expect some random deaths in the young - it's pretty common. BN fry live off a yolk sac for the first week or two of life, and after that can easily transition to canned green beans.

BNs will breed again as soon as the previous hatch has been released from the cave by the male. That's where splitting up pairs of fish comes in - you can end up swamped with fry in very short order.

If you're going to INTENTIONALLY breed them, stick your pair into a BARE BOTTOM tank. It will make your life much, much easier. Feed them well and they'll eventually get to work.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm bring in 20 or so fry to the LFS every month right now from my 125. I have a new batch of fry every week or two.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i had 5 blue eyes in a 29, got them as babies and ended up with 2 male and 3 female. i did lots of water changes and ended up selling a pair and kept a trio for myself once i could sex them. they did fine in the 29 with guppies and a betta. just have to keep up on water changes and feed often with lots of fresh veggies for the babies. i used bamboo with mine for caves

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt I'd be breeding anytime soon, but I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye out for more of these guys, especially the blue eyes.

One day I'll want to set up a tank for just propagating these guys though, one day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts