The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 gallon cube tank, I used one bag of Seachem fluorite sand and planted just monte carlo. The depth is about an inch in the front and 1.5 - 2 inches in the back, is that enough depth?

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
no I would go at least 2" at the very least

However monte carlo does not really root down too deep so it is not as big of a deal than vs if you had stem plants or heavy root feeders. I still stick to my minimum of 2" as a best practice though

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I would have no qualms at all about using 1 inch of substrate if all I wanted to grow was HC or a similar carpet plant. I suspect even a half inch would work, except for the stirring of the substrate by some fish, and water currents.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Agreed, most carpet plants don't need much depth. I have 1/2" of Amazonia at the sides of the tank and hairgrass is growing just fine up to the tank side. It is overgrowing itself but not lifting out of the Amazonia. I couldn't plant it in substrate that shallow though, I need a couple inches to pull the plants down into the substrate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.