The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rescued a betta from my sister-in-law's house. His fins are in pretty poor shape.

He's still in the half gallon tank that he came in. I would like to keep an eye out for something unique to house him in. Maybe something shallow and wide. To that extent, what would the minimum depth need to be on such a container? Would 6-8 inches be deep enough, assuming that the footprint was wide enough to give him plenty of room to swim around in?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Wide shallow containers tend to have a lot of evaporation. Keep an eye on it, but it should be fine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you doing anything to treat his fins? I ask because one of my males got the crap kicked out of him today and I am looking for every bit of advice I can to help heal him.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
465 Posts
Man u can deff go like 3 inchs deep water. Just give a 10×10 or so footprint and you'll have a happy betta

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Are you doing anything to treat his fins? I ask because one of my males got the crap kicked out of him today and I am looking for every bit of advice I can to help heal him.

This a bit off topic, but Melafix will work wonders for your problem, it can be found in pretty much every petstore that sells fish supplies, but it is often much, much cheaper online, I know of a few website where you can get a 16oz bottle for around $7, they usually range about $14-$16 in the store for the same size bottle. I have had good luck nursing fish back to health with this medication.

Now for the OP as to min depth for a betta fish, I suppose you can keep it in a dish with water barely enough to cover it and it will survive. Bettas often get abused as pets because they can breath air, so many people in the hobby think they do not require as great of care as other fish and treat them as such, which isn't true. You should provide you Betta with a filter, heater if its cold in the room with the tank, plenty of space, they need space to swim, and you should also try and provide your betta with a couple of hiding spots that it can pick and choose from, plants with large sturdy leaves work well, often times a betta will use a large leaf as a "hammock". I personally would never keep any fish in a aquarium smaller than ten gallons, to me its just cruel to expect a fish to live its entire life in 1/2 gallon of water and be "happy", which is very different than simply being alive. Other people will disagree with me stating that in the wild bettas can often be found in small pools of very dirty water, but it has always been my practice in the aquarium hobby to make the best environment that mimics nature, not to emulate it to the extent that is reduces the quality of life for the fish.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you can find one, the 6.6g "bookshelf aquarium" that Petco used to sell, was a great size/shape for a betta: 9in tall by 8in deep by 24in long. Bettas do love to swim up and down as well as back and forth so I would not consider anything less that 9-12in appropriate ... plus you do need enough height for substrate, a heater, filtration, and, I would hope, plants. :icon_smil

Good luck with your rescue. It's very kind of you!

---------------

As for the side topic of healing fin damage: A healthy environment is the first consideration, of course. Indian almond leaves are said to have many beneficial effects (although they do release tannins that will stain and acidify the water). I don't know if there has been any new evidence one way or the other, but in the past many people refused to use Melafix with bettas due to concerns that the active ingredient could damage the labyrinth organ. BettaFix uses the same active ingredient but at 1/5th strength, which is considered a low enough to be safe. So ... best course might be to use Melafix at 1/5 the recommended dosage amount, or get BettaFix instead.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
bettafish.com
I read some pretty un-complementary reviews on bettas + MelaFix there some years ago. Might be worth a read.

v3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts