The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been suggesting high end bettas as a nano tank fish for a while now and it finally bit me....I went and got one. Hes coming in in a few weeks and I wanted to set up a simple minimalist tank to sit in my Sunroom/Den that would show off the fish and look classy.

Heres the betta I got:

I wanted the tank to sit on a book shelf I have so I needed an AIO tank. I found this 6.8 gallon glass AIO tank from Imaginarium. I got it for $55 on sale and I am rather impressed with it for that price. The included "bio" cartage is trash but its removable and I plan to just full the area in the filter in the back with sechem matrix. A 25w cobalt neotherm will slide nicely in the back as well. This means all the equipment is hidden. The light it comes with is fine for display and im sure it could grow the frogbit floaters I plan to add but I didn't like the aesthetics of the light so I replaced it with a Fluval Nano Eco LED I already had. You can kinda see the plant trellis above the tank on the wall (its there, lighting just makes it hard to see it) and I plan to have a pothos growing out of the tank and up those trellises. Ill keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Well, I have been suggesting high end bettas as a nano tank fish for a while now and it finally bit me....I went and got one. Hes coming in in a few weeks and I wanted to set up a simple minimalist tank to sit in my Sunroom/Den that would show off the fish and look classy.

Heres the betta I got:

View attachment 1029639

I wanted the tank to sit on a book shelf I have so I needed an AIO tank. I found this 6.8 gallon glass AIO tank from Imaginarium. I got it for $55 on sale and I am rather impressed with it for that price. The included "bio" cartage is trash but its removable and I plan to just full the area in the filter in the back with sechem matrix. A 25w cobalt neotherm will slide nicely in the back as well. This means all the equipment is hidden. The light it comes with is fine for display and im sure it could grow the frogbit floaters I plan to add but I didn't like the aesthetics of the light so I replaced it with a Fluval Nano Eco LED I already had. You can kinda see the plant trellis above the tank on the wall (its there, lighting just makes it hard to see it) and I plan to have a pothos growing out of the tank and up those trellises. Ill keep everyone posted.

View attachment 1029641

View attachment 1029640
Nice looking Betta! I've imported a couple of Bettas now and you definitely get much better quality options then what I can find at even a well stocked store. For one thing the koi/candys/Nemo actually seem to be what they say they are.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nice looking fish! That tank looks like it should be surrounded by hi-tech lasers, and anti-theft alarms in a spy movie:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice looking Betta! I've imported a couple of Bettas now and you definitely get much better quality options then what I can find at even a well stocked store. For one thing the loud/candys/Nemo actually seem to be what they say they are.
I actually have an LFS near here that imports them and they have some really nice ones. Tho they are more like $80 if you buy from them as they gotta make a profit. They also don't have any candy's and I knew I wanted one of them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Betta arrived! Kinnda a bit early tho, I had planned on having another week for the cycle of the tank but ill have to use some bacteria starter, monitor the water and change it often to get him by till the cycle is 100%..... Im calling him Sputnik so that will be how I refer to him from now on. He has been making full use of the tank swimming all over and ate this morning so he seems fine after his trip in the mail! There is some silt on the bottom of the tank from me dumping un-washed sechem matrix into the filter a few days ago (smart I know) so please pardon that, it wont be there long! Here is that pesky martix, got a good half liter in there, could put another half liter on the other side but I have carbon there for now:

I was unsure of how his colors would match the photo but hes just as stunning as the marketing pics! Truly a stunning fish.

I designed and 3D printed a black bell nozzle (lilly pipe style nozzle) for the output of the filter to slow down the flow and it worked a treat! Gentle flow now. Gotta love being an engineer with a 3D printer!

My frogbit floaters arrive in a few days and ill update everyone then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.