The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my tank today and I noticed a couple of very small snails crawling around on my substrate. They look like ramshorn snails, but very small, like 3mm in diameter. I've never had ramshorns in the tank, and I'm wondering if I inherited some - are they babies? Or is this an entirely different species?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that's what I figured. They don't eat live plants right? Just dead leaf matter?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
There is another snail that is a mini ramshorn. You might have them. Totally cool for a planted tank.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yep, they are nice snails. They don't breed very fast, but you still need to cull and remove any eggs you see once you have enough.

They move quite fast, have a reasonably big mouth, so they are effective, and even like to skim the protein skin off the surface. Also they don't poop as much as pond snails

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a little research, I'm fairly confident these are the "mini" variety of ramshorns. They lie flat while crawling around, and look exactly like some of the pictures of mini ramshorns I've looked at. I'll wait and see if they grow at all I guess. Either way, I don't mind them if they don't eat my plants!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have both mini and regular ramshorns in a fairly heavily planted 20 high. They actually are dying off since I don't have enough dead plant matter/leftover food for them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, sorry for restarting this thread. I'm new to the aquarium hobby and recently started a 10g planted tank about 3 months ago with some plants from a friend.

About a month ago, I've started noticing round holes on my plant leaves (rotala rotundifolia, staurogyne repens) and what looked like like mini ramshorn snails (shell lies flat when they are crawling) on them. My friend says that mini ramshorn do not eat the plants, just dead plant materials. However, that doesn't explain the holes in the middle of the leaves, which almost destroyed my Staurogyne.... Can anyone please confirm if Mini Ramshorn snails are known to eat live plant leaves?

I expect that if it were fish, they'll be eating it from the edge of the leaves rather than just in the middle?

Thanks.

KC

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
It could be that a the plant isn't receiving enough nutrients, causing the holes in the center. Photos would help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts