The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still needs alot of work, plants are quiet flimsy looking. Trying to get that hope back corner filled in and very thick. Once my co2 system arrives I will add hc to all open substrate you see in picture. I started to add five drops ammonia today to cycle my tank and so far only dosing Excel, excel iron eod. Anything you guys see that I could improve?? Plant Rectangle Wood Pet supply Terrestrial plant

Sent from my PC36100 usg Tapatalk

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Looks good. What kind of shrimps are you going to put in there?

If you plan on keeping some of the higher grade ones you should keep in mind that rock might or might not raise your GH and KH.

You should also stop dosing the Excel when the shrimps get here.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No higher grade for new, I'm very new to all this but thanks. Hopefully the rock won't, as other than that I just have some manzanita but not too sure how to place in tank. Are Excel and iron good enough fertz for what I'm trying to achieve? All I know for sure that I will have are crs as I traded them for discus.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Concerning the rock, IMO unless it's pure limestone or something it probably won't mess with your parameters too much, but better safe than sorry. Although I thought that shrimp and other inverts preferred harder water for their exoskeletons, anyways.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah I'm not sure what it is but not limestone lol. It's such a pain trying to scape this thing. Can't ever get it took look right.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
You could probably remove a few cups of soil and even out the front substrate line, keeping the slope in the back. UG only needs an inch of substrate in the front tops.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I see he's planning to plant HC. Not UG. :)

But yea I would take out some of that substrate.
I'll be planting both... Possibly lol but I did think it was a lot of substrate but its what was in the bag from adg. If I take the other out what to do?? Throw it ?

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
I'll be planting both... Possibly lol but I did think it was a lot of substrate but its what was in the bag from adg. If I take the other out what to do?? Throw it ?

Haha sorry about that. How are you gonna separate them? I would just let it dry and keep it in a bag.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha sorry about that. How are you gonna separate them? I would just let it dry and keep it in a bag.
I plant to have one corner planted very thick with stem plants and do a small line of hc/glosso at edge before rock in pic and then the ug everywheres else. I did as you said and out the other sub in gallon bag, here is what I have now.

Rectangle Wood Pet supply Gas Tints and shades

Hopefully that whole back side and left corner get filled in. Any suggestions to get the effect or would that wallichi fill out that whole area?

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Once the stems grow to the surface you can trim them 2-3" above the base and then replant the tops. It'll grow into a large bushy bunch.

I'd plant the HC in the far corner from the rock and then plant the UG in a band between the stems and the HC as a midground plant.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you replant stems so easily? And can you explain a tad more in detail what your saying, or should I do just the ug

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ehh easier said then done I guess, when I try to plant a stem it never holds in substrate and if it does I end up messing something up. Guess ill have to buy a pair of pincets eventually as well as curved scissors to trim ug and hc.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bro. You can't plants stems with your hands..... Gotta use tweezers.
Hahahaha yes as I've found out the hard way, and not tweezers from the bathroom either lol. I tried.. and failed miserably to say the least. I'm new, all I've had was a 75g discus tank with sand and sticks :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.