The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first batch of MP undergoing DSM in my nano has turned dark brown. Is this an effect of converting to emersed growth or is it simply dead?

The fissidens species are doing well - does MP require something beyond the level of care they need? I'm spritzing EI water 3-4x/day and uncovering daily for gas exchange.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mini Pellia changes color due to change in water parameters, temp., light, lack of CO2. If it continues this way then the portion that turns brown slowly dies. This moss need direct medium light, temp. bet. 18-25, PH 6-7, moderate CO2 not picky abt.ferts.
If u have fish that disturb or pluck the moss then the portion that is disturbed can change its color and die later on.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's in its second week of dry start - ambient temp is 20-22C plus whatever heat the 26w CFL and small desk lamp add. CO2 should not be an issue on a dry start as I'm opening it for at least 5 min/day in addition to the time spent misting with EI water 3-4x/day.

The spritz water is 7.8 pH and has 20-40 ppm of NO3. Is this the problem?

·
Registered
690 Posts
The brown parts are mostly if not entirely dead. I'd still leave those bits be for now. MP has trouble adjusting to new water params, and usually dies back but then comes back strong. When I first got the plant I had some attached to wood that went entirely brown and sloughed off completely, but 2 months later it popped up in the same spot w/ nice new green growth. Just be patient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.