The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of growing mini pellia on the surface of a cave that my Betta really likes, and I have lots of questions.

Will mini pellia attach itself to resin/polyresin ornaments, or does it need rougher surfaces like real wood and rock?
If it can grow on an ornament like that, is there a way to tie it with just cotton thread and have it grow right, or do I have to use a netting? I'd much rather use thread if possible. Netting makes me nervous, I'm afraid I won't anchor it right and my fish will get caught in it. He winds around things so much.
Also, how fast can I expect it to grow (with 10 watt 6500 K CFL light on a 5 gallon aquarium, Seachem Iron 1x a week and Kent Pro-Plant 3x times a week)?
How should I spread it/plant it to make it grow best on the ornament?
And does it grow well in high temperatures (80-82 degrees)?

This large cave is ornament I'm hoping to grow it on:

Will it grow okay on the sides as well as the top, or will it be too sloped for it to look right?

I really hate the way that cave makes the tank look. My Betta loves it so, so much though, so I thought maybe I could try to leave it in but make it look more like a planted tank by covering the surface with a pretty plant. I would really like this tank to have more of a "planted tank" rather than a "rock quarry" look, and I don't see how I could manage that with the cave looking like it does.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
I'm thinking of growing mini pellia on the surface of a cave that my Betta really likes, and I have lots of questions.

Will mini pellia attach itself to resin/polyresin ornaments, or does it need rougher surfaces like real wood and rock?
It should

If it can grow on an ornament like that, is there a way to tie it with just cotton thread and have it grow right, or do I have to use a netting?
You can use thread, just wind it around thoroughly. You can also use super glue gel (apply to cave, stick on mini pellia.)

Also, how fast can I expect it to grow (with 10 watt 6500 K CFL light on a 5 gallon aquarium, Seachem Iron 1x a week and Kent Pro-Plant 3x times a week)?
Slowly.

How should I spread it/plant it to make it grow best on the ornament?
Evenly across the surface, not too thick.

And does it grow well in high temperatures (80-82 degrees)?
No idea

Will it grow okay on the sides as well as the top, or will it be too sloped for it to look right?
It'll grow fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.