The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this plant a while back on a stainless mesh and parts are going white. This is a cycling shrimp tank so haven't added much ferts and light is low.

Tank is 7 to 8 gallons started 10/20
Ammonia 2ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Tds 114
Gh 5
Kh 0

Light is satellite plus 18" light is 15 inches above moss
4.5" above water.
Light on 8hrs

I was doing 3/4 ml excel but stoped that a week ago.

Could this be light deficiency or ferts? I added .5 seachem comp about 4 days ago. Plant doesn't seem to of changed maybe gotten worse

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure it's light requirement is pretty high. And with the high light you need co2. I have it with both of those conditions met and it's not a very fast grower. I could only imagine how slow it would grow without either. The white could be lack of ferts.

Ah didn't know it needed that much light thought everyone uses it in shrimp tanks with lower light.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
That looks more like some sort of Riccia and they seem to really like strong lighting.

I don't have Mini Pellia but do have Subwassertang and it is growing best in a well shaded 20 gallon with a lot of over achieving MC and a big Red Flame Sword. It grows very slowly and seems to prefer the shade of the MC and Sword plant yet is growing very dark green.

In my 10 gallon Neo Shrimp tank it grows faster but almost pale green. I'm running about 20 watts of DIY 3 watt bead LED's over the 10 gallon, the 20 has a single reflector with an A17 household 100 watt equivalent 5000K LED.

The 10 is strictly Neo shrimp, the 20 has a school of Glowlite tetras and a half dozen CBS. I suspect the tetras and shrimp in the 20 tend to fertilize the plants better than the 3 dozen Neos in the 10 gallon.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It does kinda look like Riccia. Hard to tell from pic. This is my mini pellia under strong light:

That's a nice patch of Pellia. It's hard to say I only have experience with one species of Riccia in my tanks. it's the type that looks more like a Chara, elongated, thin, ( about -1mm..) highly divided, very light green thalus, grows a lot like common Java Moss, it's also a bit of a pest will restart itself all over the tanks.

Since Pellia is considered a type of Liverwort... I mean isn't one of it's Genus names "Riccia"? Or is that a Clade for it until they get it's genetics worked out?

Bump: Not the best image of my Riccia..

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
That's a nice patch of Pellia. It's hard to say I only have experience with one species of Riccia in my tanks. it's the type that looks more like a Chara, elongated, thin, ( about -1mm..) highly divided, very light green thalus, grows a lot like common Java Moss, it's also a bit of a pest will restart itself all over the tanks.

Since Pellia is considered a type of Liverwort... I mean isn't one of it's Genus names "Riccia"? Or is that a Clade for it until they get it's genetics worked out?

Bump: Not the best image of my Riccia..
Not sure about the genus name, I always knew it as Riccardia chamedryfolia. Like Riccia I always thought it needed highlight/co2 if tied to the bottom. Riccia can grow very differently under different conditions so not sure what you have pictured there. I know there is a sinking riccia that is darker in color and again not sure if that is simply tank conditions.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Mini pellia under lower light will get branchier/less rounded edges like what you've got. But it can still survive and even grow. In my experience, mini pellia can have a hard time adjusting to new water params before it starts taking off again. Also, and more importantly, I've had it melt when introduced to a cycling tank. It turns white like what you've got going on when it melts. If I were you I'd concentrate on getting your ammonia down through WCs.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the plant from buceplant.com and it is definitely not riccia I have a lot of experience with riccia.I have mini riccia in another tank and use to have the regular type.
I've since moved the mini pellia to my high light tank.
@brohawk I add the ammonia because of fishless cycle.

Bump:
Mini pellia under lower light will get branchier/less rounded edges like what you've got. But it can still survive and even grow. In my experience, mini pellia can have a hard time adjusting to new water params before it starts taking off again. Also, and more importantly, I've had it melt when introduced to a cycling tank. It turns white like what you've got going on when it melts. If I were you I'd concentrate on getting your ammonia down through WCs.
That looks more like some sort of Riccia and they seem to really like strong lighting.

I don't have Mini Pellia but do have Subwassertang and it is growing best in a well shaded 20 gallon with a lot of over achieving MC and a big Red Flame Sword. It grows very slowly and seems to prefer the shade of the MC and Sword plant yet is growing very dark green.

In my 10 gallon Neo Shrimp tank it grows faster but almost pale green. I'm running about 20 watts of DIY 3 watt bead LED's over the 10 gallon, the 20 has a single reflector with an A17 household 100 watt equivalent 5000K LED.

The 10 is strictly Neo shrimp, the 20 has a school of Glowlite tetras and a half dozen CBS. I suspect the tetras and shrimp in the 20 tend to fertilize the plants better than the 3 dozen Neos in the 10 gallon.
I've had subwassertang too in a old neo tank and it grew well in low light. I thought this mini pellia would be similar guess not

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I bought the plant from buceplant.com and it is definitely not riccia I have a lot of experience with riccia.I have mini riccia in another tank and use to have the regular type.
I've since moved the mini pellia to my high light tank.
@brohawk I add the ammonia because of fishless cycle.

Bump:

I've had subwassertang too in a old neo tank and it grew well in low light. I thought this mini pellia would be similar guess not
I'm sure it's pellia if you got it from a reputable source. Does kinda look like riccia based on color and growth in pic. Can't compare subwassertang to pellia in terms of light requirement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.