The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me hardscape my Mini M. This is the first scape that caught my attention. There will be a UG carpet and maybe some hair grass towards the back. I have about 100lbs of stone and plenty of time so please give me an honest opinion. As always pics never quite capture every detail.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks pretty good; you've obviously put some time into thinking about it. At most I'd rotate the rock farthest foreward a little bit clockwise; it's front face seems a bit obstructive the way it is now.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
203 Posts
With rocks that vertical are you going to attach some moss to their surfaces?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With rocks that vertical are you going to attach some moss to their surfaces?
I hadn't planned to but I'm certainly open to ideas. I was thinking a UG carpet all over and dwarf Hair Grass in the upper right corner. Do you have any pics of the moss or suggestions?

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what kind of stones are those?
They are local stones from Northern Minnesota. I only know about them because I'm a white water kayaker and they are from a small rock island between two class 3/4 rapids. The island is only accessible when the water is low a few months of the year because you must climb down a 20 foot ledge/waterfall and cross the rapids to get at it. It's inaccessible by kayak because the rapids are too swift. I'm going to do a two week ph test on them starting tonight to see how they affect water quality. They've already passed the vinegar test.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
They are local stones from Northern Minnesota. I only know about them because I'm a white water kayaker and they are from a small rock island between two class 3/4 rapids. The island is only accessible when the water is low a few months of the year because you must climb down a 20 foot ledge/waterfall and cross the rapids to get at it. It's inaccessible by kayak because the rapids are too swift. I'm going to do a two week ph test on them starting tonight to see how they affect water quality. They've already passed the vinegar test.
lol things we do for fish :hihi:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm going to bet you have no problems with the pH. By the way i am VERY envious of those rocks, I have looked everywhere around here for some jagged non-porous black rocks like that, i used to have access to a ton of them in san diego, but nothing but round river rocks and lava rock here. ( i chose the lava)

I really really like this layout:
I can imagine it with grass and a nice ground covering. I would say keep the rocks clean and free of mosses in this type of layout

1 - 20 of 20 Posts