The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi was thinking of setting up a 2.5 gallon tank and was wondering if Tom's Mini rapids mini canister or the Zoomed 501 turtle canister filter would be too much flow. This is going to be a crayfish/shrimp tank with moss as the main plants. thank you!

Edit: I have searched and I got sort of an answer but I wanted first hand accounts.

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you wanted Zoomed 501 turtle canister filter that much (the one id pick)
you might be able to buy more of the hose that it uses and just make the hose longer to slow the gph down. i would say maybe 5 feet of extra hose on it to slow it down

·
Registered
987 Posts
i didint know you could lower the flow on it lol. ya that would work too.
I think he meant set it in the floor. From looking at them, I'm guessing it's assumed you're setting it at the same level as the tank (how many actually buy an aquarium stand for a less than half full turtle tank - most furniture can handle that pretty easily) so putting it lower than the tank should slow it down.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I just got on of the Toms mini cans. the flow is pretty low on them out of the box. I plan on using mine for my 6gal shrimp tank. Right now I have a hagen mini elite. but that only has a little 1"x 1/12" sponge pad.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Or go with one of the internal filters. Using a Tom's micro dive right now in a 1.5 gallon pico reef. Works well to move water around with very minimal heat distributed to the water.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm gonna go try to pricematch using petsmart and if I can't get it for around 25 dollars then I'll just go with a HOB or internal filter. Thank everyone!

I just wanted that extra water flow for the mosses. CO2 will not be injected so surface turbulence will also not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Joseph! I think I'll go with the Zoomed and try to pricematch with petsmart. Otherwise I'll go buy a Tom's Mini rapids because it seems to be a whole lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts