The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting back into aquarium keeping after a long hiatus and I am planing a low tech tank. Before putting my tanks into storage I was planning on trying mineralized soil.

I haven't found any recent threads about the process or people mentioning that they have used it (I used google site search but could be looking in the wrong places).

So before I go and buy everything (especially the clay), I am wondering if the cost (effort + materials) give decent results for a planted tank or it there is another method that people prefer?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I do, but would make one suggestion. Get your dirt from a landscaper. They're generally going to have huge amounts of it sitting outside in concrete bins open to the elements, so it's mineralized already.
That's interesting...we have about 10 yards or so of clean topsoil next to the garden that's been sitting out for a month or so,I used some of it in pots topped with petco sand,and thinking about using that for a nano tank.

In the pot,I have one with 2 Hygro Corymbosa that are going nuts,as well as a piece of elodea that was floating by and spontaneously sent roots into it,and now has a shoot heading straight up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.