The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I decided to switch from water to mineral oil in my bubble counter. I look at it when I get home from work and its empty....nice sheen on the surface of my water now. I thought it was supposed to last am I doing something wrong ?

·
Super Moderator
12,055 Posts
First, I would start by doing some water changes to remove the oil from your aquarium. It can prevent gas exchange.

Secondly, the fact that it made its way into your aquarium indicates that you are either filling up your bubble counter too high, or your bubble rate is so high that the bubbles are pushing the oil up through the airline and into your aquarium.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I would try to remove the oil with paper towels first, then try some water changes. Basically, just place paper towels on the surface of your tank, remove them, repeat until you get most of it.

As for mineral oil in the bubble counter, is it inline? I never had trouble with the one on my regulator but my inline one did have issues. It was just too small of a space. The other thing is that you need a check valve after it because the water may seep up and then siphon down to your oil and mix it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Also if you're using an inline diffuser, you most likely are going to end up having clogged the ceramic. I'd give the diffuser a cleaning as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have an inline bubble counter so I am guessing that is the issue. I already took it off cleaned it and refilled it with water. I turned on my Ehiem surface extractor and now the surface is clear. I will be doing a water change tonight as well as cleaning out the extractor. I also have a 2nd Ehiem 2215 filter to set up tonight as well. Its a 75 gallon tank I just decided to add more filtration because it is not as clear as I would like it to be. Everything is doing well I just like ultra clear water.

Also if you're using an inline diffuser, you most likely are going to end up having clogged the ceramic. I'd give the diffuser a cleaning as well.
Thankfully I have a reactor so that won't be an issue. I switched a few months ago....which reminds me I should sell that diffuser...it still works fine and is one of the nice Atomic ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts