The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I got mineral oil in my fish tank and I don't know how to get it out. I've been trying to soak it up with paper towels but it doesn't seem to be doing all that much. Even did a water change. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
What type of flooring/stand do you have, the only way to get most off would be to float it off, i.e. fill tank to the brim and let it spill over a bit.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of flooring/stand do you have, the only way to get most off would be to float it off, i.e. fill tank to the brim and let it spill over a bit.

Ya that wouldn't would, it's in a bedroom and its carpet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oil tends to spread out in a sheen on water. If it does it could affect the gas exchange at the surface and limit oxygen exchange.

If you use a python for water changes you can turn it so the tube opening is just under the surface. The hose would be near the bottom of the aquarium. This will skim the surface, I do this on occasion to remove protein film that builds up sometimes

·
Registered
791 Posts
Why not siphon it out? I do quite often when I do a water change to get rid of any film on the surface. Just hold the intake of the siphon right at the surface. It will pull in some air, but as long as it's pulling in some water too you should be able to quickly get rid of the oil.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
There is a trick for that, put a ball of floss in the end of the tube (not a lot so it slows flow much), just a bit to stand proud of the tube's entrance, it will wick up the layer you are trying to remove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts