The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
You know how in real estate, they say "location, location, location" in regards to property value? With shrimp, it's "Stability, stability, stability." I've had Neos spawn and thrive in hard water and extremely soft water. They can adapt to a lot, as long as change happens very slowly. Large water changes are never ideal, I do 10% a week in my own tanks. And to keep things stable, I'll set tanks up for months with growing plants before they ever see a shrimp. The more mature the ecosystem, the less things change. And you can't really rush this.

Shrimp keeping is very different than keeping fish in regards to feeding. As food goes; in a typical shrimp tank less is usually more. My rule of thumb is, if they don't swarm the food; they didn't need to be fed that day. Consider how small a shrimp is, then consider the size of its stomach:

In a healthy mature planted tank, until numbers get high, they really don't need supplemental feeding. Detritus, algae and biofilm is abundant. More harm is done than good when putting in more food than they can eat. They are sensitive to nitrogen spikes from rotting food, though I wouldn't change large amounts at once. Wishing you luck.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts