The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I was able to get a good deal on a 22 Gallon Long from Marine depot. Now all I need is a cabinet. All the cabinets I have seen were either too expensive or not to my wife and I's liking. Through reading in this forum I got inspired to build my own cabinet. And so I made a design using sketchUp and a cut list.

I chose to go with 13 ply baltic birch, had the pieces cut to size. Then it was just screwing the pieces together using butt joints.

Every screw was pilot holed and counter sunk beforehand. I also glued all pieces to each other using titebond III. The next step was to fill in the screw holes with wood filler. Then I started priming. I have used way too much wood filler on all the holes and joints but I thought it would level out with multiple coats of primer. It DID NOT! It just looked ugly and so I decided to start over by sanding it down. I didn't have a sander, so I sat there sanding away by hand for about 4 hours with 100 grit sandpaper and felt like I was making no progress. I then finally drove down to my local harbor freight and was surprised a palm sander only cost $14!!!🤦‍♂️

In 10 minutes with the palm sander I made more progress than in 4 hours by hand. Lesson learned! So I reprised everything and started painting. My wife chose a dark midnight blue and so we went to Lowes purchased a cabinet paint and had them mix the color for us.

We also decided to go with golden handles and legs. I have found some black height adjustable legs on amazon and painted them gold.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After finishing the painting, it was time to drill the holes for electrical hosing and the cabinet hinges. I went with simple cable management grommets to cover the holes and soft close hinges for the doors

And here is the final product:

I already have too many ideas for the scaping and equipment. Cant wait!!!

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks good, I always enjoy seeing DIY Projects!

Reactions: Min_90

·
Registered
637 Posts
So from what I've been seeing here. People just continue the original post and update with progress. Maybe I should've chosen a different title then...
You can change with the three dots at the top of the page, or I think also by editing your first post.

I wasn't sure if that was just a lighting thing between the inside and outside of the cabinet! I promise I won't tell anyone

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a bunch these rocks in my in-laws backyard. Does anybody have an idea on how to test whether they are aquarium safe or not? View attachment 1025262
Looks like limestone which would raise KH. You can test by dropping a strong acid on it and seeing if it fizzes. I've heard of soaking it in muriatic acid before using it in fish tanks to make it less reactive to soft, acidic tank water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a bunch these rocks in my in-laws backyard. Does anybody have an idea on how to test whether they are aquarium safe or not? View attachment 1025262
In addition to acids, I've seen the suggestion to keep it in a similar condition to the tank and obviously submerged. Check pH before and after a few days or weeks, depending on how cautious you want to be. Any pH changes will show you any leeching you may risk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In addition to acids, I've seen the suggestion to keep it in a similar condition to the tank and obviously submerged. Check pH before and after a few days or weeks, depending on how cautious you want to be. Any pH changes will show you any leeching you may risk.
This seems to be an easy check. I’ll make sure to grab some next time for submersion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give a little update some equipment that arrived and I am considering. I have ordered an Oase Biomaster Thermo350 and want to use lily pipes. I have two options here that I would like your input for.

A. lily pipes with attached skimmer on the intake. (Less equipment, less flow?)
B. Lily pipes without attached skimmer but add a eheim skim350 on the opposite corner. (More equipment, more flow)

Do you guys think option A would provide enough flow for a 22 gallon long?

I just received my Chihiros WRGB II and it’s beautiful. Way brighter than I expected. Does anybody here have experience with this light and similar tank dimensions? Would be curious at what % you guys are running this light (w/ CO2).

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Without co2 I am running the 45cm version at 60% on a 60cm tank 18" from the substrate and getting around 60 ppfd in the center. I'd start there and turn it up after plants are established if you want more light. My tank (the shallow dooa in my signature) is a bit of a weird bird to run so high on light while being low tech, but the 60 ppfd number is a good one to shoot for with co2.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Without co2 I am running the 45cm version at 60% on a 60cm tank 18" from the substrate and getting around 60 ppfd in the center. I'd start there and turn it up after plants are established if you want more light. My tank (the shallow dooa in my signature) is a bit of a weird bird to run so high on light while being low tech, but the 60 ppfd number is a good one to shoot for with co2.
Gotcha. I don’t have my substrate yet but will measure the distance when I get ready. This is valuable information thank you. Definitely want to minimize any algae risks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.