The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm sure people do this all the time, and I apologize in advance for being one of those people. So with that out of the way (lol): I am a tota CO2 newbie who has kept planted tanks for a little over a year now. I've done the DIY yeast set up, and the pH fluctuations at night and inconsistent output rate as the reaction progressed bothered me. SO, I am looking into pressurized CO2.

OK the question: Has anyone on here ever used this Milwaukee regulator?
Amazon.com: Milwaukee Instruments Solenoid Valve, CO2 Regulator with Bubble Counter: Health & Personal Care
It has so-so mixed reviews on amazon, but came at the recommendation of a friend. Anything anyone can add would be helpful. Thanks all!

-windelov

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I believe even here they are so-so mixed reviews lol. From my understanding they've been out forever, are obviously affordable, and get the job done. Now if you can afford better I would get a better one, gla or build it yourself for example, but it's still a decent reg if you're on a budget. I don't really have any experience with full blown regulators myself though so hopefully someone else *with* experience will chime in, but thats what I've read from a ton of threads on here.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If that is the Milwaukee MA957 I have had one for two years and is running great.I did change the needle valve which added another 50.00 to the total but I needed more control on the output of co2 but the one that comes with it is usable.Certainly there are top of the line units that are better but for the people on a budget it is a good beginner unit.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have one that's been running for 6 or 7 years. There are definitely better regulators out there, but I have no complaints with this one. Be aware that some people have reported end of tank dumps with this regulator.

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
It used to be pretty much the only game in town unless you went with something one of the retailers cooked up (Fosters and Smith, for example, have their own set-up). I wasn't active when others came out, so when I wandered into a favored LFS a few years ago and found one there, I bought it. Still haven't used it for a number of reasons.

Doogy, what needle valve did you get?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
OVT a member here got me this number and it worked great not sure about the price now considering how much things have gone up.I would call Ideal Valve 701-352-1164 and get a quote for part number 52-1-72.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've used mine for about 4 years now. I ended up replacing the solenoid (old one would stick in the open position) and the bubble counter (plastic cracked ... replaced with glass).

The regulator has worked with no issues.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have one. The only issue I have had is that the threads on the regulator knob are too lose for my liking. Nothing a few wraps of Teflon tape couldn't fix though. To me it's not top of the line, but it works well. It's a great starter regulator. I would only replace mine if a deal on a dual stage came by that I couldn't pass up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've had no problems with mine. One quick tip, the bubble counter is much easier to read of you fill it with mineral oil instead of water...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I agree with all the above as there are definitely better out there. It's a decent budget setup and gets you out of the chore of diy co2. DIY is a pita and I hope to never return to it. If you only have one or perhaps (2) small tanks, it is less of a headache. Larger tanks, forget about it, lol.

I used mine for about 2 years before upgrading. I still have it as a backup but its in hybrid form now with the electronic AP regulator. I am one who did experience an end of tank dumb. This error is all on the user. When using this regulator, one must keep an eye on the inlet gauge once the pressure starts dropping. At 400-500 psi, yank the tank. You will waste some co2 as there will still be some left in the tank but its the price to pay with this regulator. Good thing is that co2 is fairly cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.