The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So, I have a serious problem. I set up a pressurized CO2 system on an established, planted 72 gallon bowfront Sunday afternoon. I have a Milwaukee regulator on a 5 lb. tank and a home made in-line reactor on the outflow side of a Cascade 1200 filter.

I am having an extremely hard time getting the regulator set. I am trying to set it at 1 bps, and it may stay set for 10 hours or it may stay set for 10 minutes. Then, it goes spastic and lets out a constant flow of bubbles. It went spastic sometime last night. When I got up this morning, all the fish were either gasping at the surface or laying on their sides gasping. The pH went down from ~6.5 to the yellowist that the color test would show. I put 2airstones in the tank, and turned the lights on so that the plants would start taking in CO2 and releasing O2. I haven't been home yet to see the outcome, but hopefully it will turn out ok.

Could the spacticity be due to the CO2 tank being new and completely full, or is the regulator just junk? Any thoughts would be appreciated, or any tips on how to get it set more constant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the fish are ok. Unfortunately the Atyopsis gabonensis shrimp didn't make it through. : (

Thank you Kuhli. I turned the coarse adjustment up, and that gave me a tighter regulation with the needle valve.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
from personal experience, i hate milwaukee regulators. POS. i've had nothing but problems from the one i purchased. now i have a jbj regulator which is so much nicer.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I agree the Milwaukee isn't the best out there, however, most people seem to run at very low outlet pressures and mine was very unpredictable. They seem to stabalize fine at 60 to 80 psi outlet, I run mine at nearly 100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.