The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it now.. I couldn't figure why my last 5# tank lasted 1-week. No I just found out... The o-ring between the regulator and the tank is gone. Went to beer distributor and Lowes with no luck.

Anyone know where I can get an o-ring for this quick?

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
623 Posts
paintball stores should carry them.

you should keep some extras on hand. When the pressurized co2 is released its reaction is to freeze, a long exposure of very cold temperatures causes the rubber o-rings to weaken and crack.

I'm not sure how often they need or should be changed with a tank only releasing very minor amounts of co2 into a tank but when I used to play paintball, I would change out my o-rings fairly often because of that.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You sould change the "O" ring /gascket every time you remove the regulator from the co2 tank,or buy one of those "Perma seal" washer like o rings that Rex sells.
If you know a Hydroponic store in your area they should carry the plastic ones.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I would suggest some teflon tape around the threads for a better seal as well.
Please explain to me how you would think that Teflon tape around the threads of a CGA 320 fitting will help the seal?

The CGA 320 fitting doesn't seal on the threads. It's a flat compression based seal. On most regulators the nut is freely sliding on the stem of the regulator. So just that fact alone would convince most people that a CGA 320 fitting doesn't seal on the threads.

In fact CGA specs call for NO Teflon tape to be used on the threads of the CGA 320 fitting.

thadius65: I have heard from a couple of people they don't fit. But I've not had the chance to test that myself.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rex. I will call Milwaukee today to see if I can get a replacement.

Retoid -- Teflon tape is worthless on this type of setup. My brother in-law is in the plumbing/HVAC business and he said that the seal is created with the o-ring and the threads only purpous is to pull the regulator into the o-ring and the tank orafice. If that isn't doing its job, the tape wont do anything.

Ted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.