The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I always thought a Krib was a Krib until recently. I stumbled into a few color variants on Aquabid that I couldn't resist. So I picked a favorite and "gave" them to my 7-yr old daughter.

They are a little secretive and hard to get a pic of, but finally here's a couple. Female pic is blurry, but you get an idea for her coloration. Nice fish, beautiful to my eye, pleasant disposition and personality. Seem to be very hardy. Spend a lot of time picking at algea and the substrate. Highly recommended.

AB

·
Registered
199 Posts
Beautiful Fishes AB... 1st time saw these. are they good for algae? how they don in community tank?? thnx.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Those are not Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher). You bought a nice looking pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus `Moliwe'. They are great West African dwarf cichlids... congratulations.

AquaTX01—they do not eat algae.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that's true Captn, they are not Pulcher. Size, shape and behavior are identical, but they are different.

AquaTX. They pick at algae on plants and on objects. Never on the aquarium walls. Can't say how much of a dent they make in it.

They are doing fine in the community tank. Its an 84g with schools of Neon Rainbows, Rummynose, Cardinals, a RTBS, a Beta, 2 bristelnose, 5 chain loaches and some Otos. No conflicts, no bad behavior and the "Kribs" (sorry Captn, its just too easy a shortcut) display natural behavior. They are just casual and like to hang out deep in the plants or around the driftwood. When they do come out they behave normally. No worries in a community tank...at least one with some room and lots of plants and things.

All pluses, no negatives.

·
Registered
199 Posts
lol, either way (captain vs AB), they're pretty fish. :D Lately I've been really worried about how well fishes get along w/ other one's in community tank (maturity as a hobbyist I guess). last week got a pair of Blue Rams (LOVE'em, they're my most favorite now)! and a pair of Yo-Yo loach. the Loaches were suppose to help w/ algae(?) & snail (somewhat), but dont even look @ them. they're too busy digging in my fine gravel. pretty & very active fish though... :biggrin:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had these fish for years...very easy to breed. excellent parents, even in a busy community tank. several water changes over a few days seems to induce spawning. not sure what other tank mates you have, but a nice school of small tetras will make your couple much happier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.