The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the PPS for making a stock solution Trace elements (microplex) and it said to use 116 grams for a 450ml bottle. That sounds like a lot to me. If that is right how much of it would I does daily. My tanks are what I would consider high tech ie; 4-5wpg light, CO2 @4-6bps and H2O changes every 3 days or so @ about 50-75% at a time. I am very new to dry ferts and creating my own wet stocks. Please help

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Ditch the PPS system as it is the most complicated in the history of aquatic plant gardening, 116 grams is a lot and sounds crazy to me. I tried PPS and had problems with the ratios but do like some of the observations at the site.

EI is much easier, no scale, no calculator, etc. Miller microplex is a Fe suppliment correct, so it would be used in very small amounts if you had a an Fe deficientcy after using Plantex + CSM.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Or is Miller's microplex an earlier version of Plantex + CSM, as a multi micro nutrient fert?
Millers is a completely different trace mix than Plantex. It is a european mix, much more common on the other side of the pond.

It is a MICRO element trace mix. NOt just iron.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Ditch the PPS system as it is the most complicated in the history of aquatic plant gardening, 116 grams is a lot and sounds crazy to me. I tried PPS and had problems with the ratios but do like some of the observations at the site.

EI is much easier, no scale, no calculator, etc. Miller microplex is a Fe suppliment correct, so it would be used in very small amounts if you had a an Fe deficientcy after using Plantex + CSM.
After reading it through I found it no more difficult than EI.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks the clc. gave me an origonal dose of 36gr but then when i put iy inj again it gave 116 figure

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Miller's microplex is used in tissue culturing as well as hydroponics it is objectively better than CSM +B as it has more of just about everything including manganese.
I haven't had personal experience but from what I've heard from friends and other people on forums, Millers is somewhat better than CSM+B

·
Registered
320 Posts
No one noticing copper?
Microplex has 15 times more Cu than CSM+B.

And where do you read it has more Fe than CSM+B?
CSM+B has Fe around 6.53%.

Microplex?
4%

I just can't see how it could be better than CSM+B,
apart from using DTPA.

Or you're getting bad result because there is now less boron
in CSM+B than before?
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8848-Question-on-the-composition-of-Plantex-CSM-B

FYI: Microplex is from completely another company from CSM.
Not an older version.

·
Registered
320 Posts
CSM+B:

Fe 6.53%
Mn 1.87%
Mg 1.40%
Zn 0.37%
Cu 0.09%
Mo 0.05%
B 1.18%

Microplex:

Fe 4.0%
Mn 4.0%
Mg 5.4%
Zn 1.5%
Cu 1.5%
Mo 0.1%
B 0.5%
Co 0.05%

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Manganese is the seller of microplex for me. It's actually just about as important as many other metals. It's the george harrison of the macro-micro elements. Iron by far overshadows it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
resurrecting an old thread (well kinda)...So, is it not advisable to use Microplex in a tank that has a few shrimp like amano's because of the higher copper content? I see 1.5% vs 0.09% of Cu is a good amount of difference!
Just a quick question as I am trying to figure out which micro fert to get..Microplex or CSM+B..is there any real clear advantage/disadvantage using one vs the other?? thanks!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
resurrecting an old thread (well kinda)...So, is it not advisable to use Microplex in a tank that has a few shrimp like amano's because of the higher copper content? I see 1.5% vs 0.09% of Cu is a good amount of difference!
Just a quick question as I am trying to figure out which micro fert to get..Microplex or CSM+B..is there any real clear advantage/disadvantage using one vs the other?? thanks!
It is fine. Copper toxicity in shrimp is way higher than people think it is.

The warnings about copper and inverts relates to copper based medications, not the ferts we use.

Don't worry about the copper at all. Seriously.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts