The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knows reason and how to stop this?
My colony has been melting slowly since I started it 6 months ago, always the same gradual kinda milky/white opacity inside the shrimp, till they die.
The weird aspect is, it almost has a rythm to it, it's always one shrimp / two weeks (of the ones I could notice, casualties might be much higher)
Colony started with 2 amanos, 8 cherry.
The amanos were the first to die off of this, then cherry had many babies, first cherry gen died one by one, next generation had babies then died one by one...
This is third gen and I'm afraid to add new blood as they'll most likely die of it anyway...
I tried treating with Cerpofor bactyfec from colombo (anti bacteria) following advice from LFS, didn't see any dead ones for couple weeks but obviously issue is still around.

GH : 8-9
KH : 6
PH : ~7
RO/DI only
NO2, NO3 : 0
Heavily planted, no population other than shrimps (and one snail)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Looks like muscle necrosis/bacteria infection. Some ideas you could try.... (only one at a time)

Selenium
Maracyn 2
Nanocolloidal silver
Beta glucan/immunoglobulin

If the shrimp are turning white, then you can try several different approaches.... just keep in mind that many of these are likely to cause stress to your shrimp and could kill them.

1.) 50% - 80% water changes 3x a week to daily
2.) Food Grade H2O2 at 3%
1ml per 1 gallon for 5 days
Can use up to 2ml per gallon
3.) UV light for 5 days
4.) Use antibiotic medications (Tetracycline, Oxytetracycline, Baytril, Chloramphenicol, Ampicillin, Gentamicin, Minocycline, Methylene Blue)
5.) Paraguard

----

Shrimp safe

1.) BorneoWild Rescue
2.) Tannins from alder cones, indian almond leaves, peat, etc. Boil up a pot of one or more of those items for a few minutes, then let water cool. Once cooled off, drip the water into the tank and place the items you boiled also in the tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Get them out of the tank as soon as possible. If you see one swimming around like that, snatch it out ASAP. If they eat the dead one, it spreads easily.

In my recent and limited experience, I found these in a 5 gallon where I was planning to move them into my 75G. I decided not to risk it, and replaced my entire colony. I would not add anything new. If it is your only tank, I would do a major eviction of any infected, and begin treatment as previous poster recommended.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, I'll try the very thorough list you provided Zoidburg.

If they all die, is the problem going to resolve itself has it won't have any hosts anymore or is it just thriving in the water anyway?

·
Registered
56 Posts
As I understand, Muscular necrosis is typically caused by another/other issue. It is essentially cell death brought on by many possible factors.

Some of the potential causes:

Extended periods of poor oxygen levels
Internal parasites
Bacterial infection
Poor environmental conditions

In my limited experience with it, I found that though some of them lived for a very long, and seemingly unaffected by it (spiritually at least), but I never noticed a recovery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1.) BorneoWild Rescue
2.) Tannins from alder cones, indian almond leaves, peat, etc. Boil up a pot of one or more of those items for a few minutes, then let water cool. Once cooled off, drip the water into the tank and place the items you boiled also in the tank.
Hey friend, so I followed your advices, went from the easiest / safest / cheapest option, the alder cones, and amazingly enough it seems to have done the trick.
I noticed a couple of deaths after I started but since then not a single one ! Now the colony is thriving, thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.