The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my BF and I finally found a nice house, in a great neighborhood, with everything we want, for the right price. If everything goes well, we may very well be moving soon.

Now the house has a large basement, of which the one room will be for fish primarily (concrete slab). Well LUCKILY the house is only 15 minutes down the street from where we live now, so the fish won't have to move right away, but whats the best way to do this? The SW tank we plan on moving ourselves, since its acrylic, but the pool table will need to be moved professionally, and we were thinking this would be a good chance to have someone ELSE move the monstrosity that is the 120g.

When would the best time be to do this? Sooner rather then later? I was thinking of fixing the 40 long (have a 55 in storage that has bad silicone I can pop the bottom rim off of), and setting it up in the new house where they can stay in the comfort of the old tank while the 120 gets set up. But that still will require 3 moves. One from the 120 to a cooler for transport, then from the cooler to the 40, then from the 40 to the 120. Am I better off just leaving the 120 running at his moms house until we can move it? The SW we were just going to do when everything was settled since the tank is VERY VERY light due to the acrylic. Weighs the same as the 40 long. But with the glass tank, it would be way easier if the guys who do the pool table, move it.

Any advice? It's not like we are going terribly far.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So my BF and I finally found a nice house, in a great neighborhood, with everything we want, for the right price. If everything goes well, we may very well be moving soon.

Now the house has a large basement, of which the one room will be for fish primarily (concrete slab). Well LUCKILY the house is only 15 minutes down the street from where we live now, so the fish won't have to move right away, but whats the best way to do this? The SW tank we plan on moving ourselves, since its acrylic, but the pool table will need to be moved professionally, and we were thinking this would be a good chance to have someone ELSE move the monstrosity that is the 120g.

When would the best time be to do this? Sooner rather then later? I was thinking of fixing the 40 long (have a 55 in storage that has bad silicone I can pop the bottom rim off of), and setting it up in the new house where they can stay in the comfort of the old tank while the 120 gets set up. But that still will require 3 moves. One from the 120 to a cooler for transport, then from the cooler to the 40, then from the 40 to the 120. Am I better off just leaving the 120 running at his moms house until we can move it? The SW we were just going to do when everything was settled since the tank is VERY VERY light due to the acrylic. Weighs the same as the 40 long. But with the glass tank, it would be way easier if the guys who do the pool table, move it.

Any advice? It's not like we are going terribly far.
I personally hate closer moves like that more so than if you were say moving 2 towns over. Its just as much work to move something like a large fishtank one house or one state. Mentally it seems easier so you tend to skimp on packing and just sort of think "oh its close so its no big deal". Sounds like you have the right idea of getting some help. Your plan for the fish also sounds about right. Yes its one more "move"; but if you try and hurry to move that large tank and get it set up to put your fish back in immediately something is bound to go wrong and then you have no backup!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Your plan sounds good but what I really want to know is since I live in Michigan do you have a spare bedroom so I can make my dream of a fishroom come true.Would only need about a 10X10 space.Let me know.Oh ya also have a 105 lb.black lab that is as sweet as they come.:laugh2:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your plan sounds good but what I really want to know is since I live in Michigan do you have a spare bedroom so I can make my dream of a fishroom come true.Would only need about a 10X10 space.Let me know.Oh ya also have a 105 lb.black lab that is as sweet as they come.:laugh2:
Thats half the reason I like this house, it has room for my own fish room LOL. And concrete slab=big tanks galore.

·
Registered
835 Posts
When I moved my 120 - I set up a 29g "refugee tank" for while I was moving. That way I could completely drain the 120 - which made it much easier for the movers.

it was way easier than if I had left it running. Trying to catch all of the fish was hard - but the shrimp and snails were even harder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts