The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

I have a question about micronutrients and chelators.
Talking about Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate (CuSO4.5H2O), the pentahydrate part (5H2O) is the chelator or ligand correct? or is this not chelated?

Would it be harmful to fish if dosing micros that arent chelated?

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Copper sulfate is not chelated. The 5H2O (pentahydrate) indicates that the molecule is surrounded by water molecules.

Non-chelated metals typically will oxidize quickly, and will not be accessible to plants. Additionally, you don't really want free floating metal ions in the water as high enough concentrations can be harmful to livestock (in this case, copper can be toxic to invertebrates in relatively low concentrations)

·
Planted Tanker
6,050 Posts
Fe is the main thing that needs a chelate suitable for your PH. All the other micros are not so important. Seachem, Thrive etc, any liquid name brand, most all use non-chelated micros (except for Fe). The folks around here making their own, including myself, use non-chelated compoiunds. The copper sulfate you listed is fine. As mentioned you want to avoid contact, breathing dust. Best to look up the SDS (saftey data sheet) for any compound you are messing with to see potential health risks.

Also using non-chelated compounds its important that the PH in the solution you mix them up in has a low PH under 5 or so. The low PH keeps everything stable and in an available state while it in solution. To accomplish this you can add ascorbic acid at .5 gram per 500 ML, or another similar acid

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fe is the main thing that needs a chelate suitable for your PH. All the other micros are not so important. Seachem, Thrive etc, any liquid name brand, most all use non-chelated micros (except for Fe). The folks around here making their own, including myself, use non-chelated compoiunds. The copper sulfate you listed is fine. As mentioned you want to avoid contact, breathing dust. Best to look up the SDS (saftey data sheet) for any compound you are messing with to see potential health risks.

Also using non-chelated compounds its important that the PH in the solution you mix them up in has a low PH under 5 or so. The low PH keeps everything stable and in an available state while it in solution. To accomplish this you can add ascorbic acid at .5 gram per 500 ML, or another similar acid
Burr,

About PH of the solution for the micros being under 5, is this for a solution that is meant to be kept stored?
or are you saying that whenever I need to dose, I need to create water with a PH below 5 using ascorbic acid, which then gets mixed with the all micro ferts, then gets dosed immediately?

My original plan was to individually store the micros dry. Only when I have to dose, is when the individual micros get dissolved into each their own distilled water solution and then poured into tank. My tap water and aquarium PH is 8.1, after CO2 injection is 7.1. The aquarium KH starts at 4, then goes up after CO2 injection.

·
Planted Tanker
6,050 Posts
Burr,

About PH of the solution for the micros being under 5, is this for a solution that is meant to be kept stored?
or are you saying that whenever I need to dose, I need to create water with a PH below 5 using ascorbic acid, which then gets mixed with the all micro ferts, then gets dosed immediately?

My original plan was to individually store the micros dry. Only when I have to dose, is when the individual micros get dissolved into each their own distilled water solution and then poured into tank. My tap water and aquarium PH is 8.1, after CO2 injection is 7.1. The aquarium KH starts at 4, then goes up after CO2 injection.
No I meant the PH of the solution if you were premixing a liquid, which is about the only way you can do it because the quantities are so tiny for some things. Your plan sounds like way overkill, you can easily put them all in one bottle

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I meant the PH of the solution if you were premixing a liquid, which is about the only way you can do it because the quantities are so tiny for some things. Your plan sounds like way overkill, you can easily put them all in one bottle
Oh, I see. So what is your preferred liquid to make the micro solution? distilled water?
Add ascorbic acid to 500ml of distilled water until PH is below 5?
0.5g of ascorbic acid should be enough?
If using distilled water, KH will be 0, but should be okay?

·
Planted Tanker
6,050 Posts
Oh, I see. So what is your preferred liquid to make the micro solution? distilled water?
Add ascorbic acid to 500ml of distilled water until PH is below 5?
0.5g of ascorbic acid should be enough?
If using distilled water, KH will be 0, but should be okay?
Yes, distilled water. The PH isnt critical to hit an exact number, just needs to be down around 5 or lower.

.5 grams ascorbic acid per 500 ML is good

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, distilled water. The PH isnt critical to hit an exact number, just needs to be down around 5 or lower.

.5 grams ascorbic acid per 500 ML is good
How big is your solution?
How many mL do you dose?

I ask because shouldn't we be minimizing the amount of ascorbic acid introduced to our system?
We are adding more ascorbic acid if we dose 50mL than say 10mL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts