The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the fastest way to get a micro sword carpet in a 29 gallon?
I want to start my 29 with a carpet of micro sword, And a carpet of HC. I want to get most of the slow growers in first, but at the same time keep algae down with some temp. fast growers.
My plants will include-HC, microsword, Dwarf hairgrass, blyxa japonica, rotala macranda, ozelot sowrd, italian vals, either cabomba or myrio, moss of some kind, anubias, java fern and windelov java, marimos, and possibly downoi and others.

The tank is gonna focus on breeding shrimp, pygmy cories, and dwarf crayfish, maybe not all at once, but maybe so. I also want otos and microrasboras in the tank, so you can see why i need the microsword cover.

I live in texas, so i don't think ADA soils will be too accessable, but i think eco complete and white sand with a few boosters underneath will do it, or maybe just eco complete.(absolutly NO flourite)

I want to start out without fauna, so i can add tons of ferts if needed, and i could do a bunch of co2 diy bottles, until i get pressurized. What light is best for this?(30")
Any techniques appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, how much AS amazonia would i need to do the 29?
i Think a 9l bag should cover it, with a possible dusting of powder type on top.
Is there anything else i need? I thought about powersand, but the price on that is freaking crazy!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it be best to order 1/2 square foot, or a few small pots?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, my Questions haven't been answered yet, so bump.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
shoot.. my message didn't save?

recap... it's hard. need lots of light and CO2.. just watch for algae... and seachem gravel ferts will do.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, i want to split it into small groups(3or so leaves each) and let it fill in.
Would it hurt to bumo up CO2 and ferts for a while before i get fish?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
i have a bunch of microsword, and they just sit there.. If i intensify the lights, algae starts to grow on it.. I have a DIY co2 and I can't boost it to what people recommend to be 30ppm. i'm hovering around 10ppm.

yeah, you'd have to use ferts since you have no fish to add NH3 and CO2 into the water column.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i plan for this to be a HIGH tech tank, 4+WPG, pressurized CO2, ADA AS, Greg Watson Fert Dosing.etc....
I believe AS releases Ammonia, so yea.
I think plants like ammonia best right? if so then i could find some ammonia and dose it sparingly.
The tank isn't gonna have a huge fishload. It will have all microfish and small inverts.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yeah, plants like NH3 better because it's easier for them to break the NH3 bond compared to NO3 to get at the Nitrogen (i think).. well, good luck.. start out slow, you don't want the algae to overtake the plants.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking about buying a big peice to start with, maybe like 6x12" and break it up into the area i want it to cover.
The only problem i see with that is that it doesn't come in a pot, so it will start slower.
Should i get a bunch of pots, or a big peice?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
the pots doesn't do anything. when you put the plants in you tank, you're suppose to take them out of those plastic containers and get this fibers off the roots and spread them out. microswords are kinda pricey? i got a bunch in a pot for $4.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Get the sod piece and cut it into plugs then plant them in a checkerboard pattern. When it gets established it will fill in the empty space around each plug very quickly.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i decided against swords, and am opting for a really nice peice of driftwood with several cool plants on it(ferns,mosses, anubias)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts