The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Do you mean ripped up marimo balls? Seems like peacock moss would look too big in there. Do you think that the sand will be able to hold it's slope? A couple of little cherry shrimp would look cool in there.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, marimo carpets are done similar to ricca carpets, cut up marimo balls are tied around small stones or affixed with stainless steel mesh and they eventually grow in. They give a really nice 'rolling hills' effect. I was just considering peacock moss because I have it on hand. It all depends on if I can find stainless steel mesh.

the slope isn't that steep, I'm confident that with the addition of the moss covered stones it will be more stable. and it's been holding just fine so far.

edit: Oh, caught your edit about the cherry shrimp, I was considering it but I've had cherry shrimp in a similar vase and they didn't do so well, so I think this one will be livestock free as well.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, I was referring to both peacock and marimo when I said moss, I'm quite aware that marimo is a sp. of cladophora, I just figured everyone knew what I meant with the common name of marimo 'moss'. Sorry that I confused you!

Lol, I guess that second moss is a little redundant, my bad.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
hey, question that seems like it applies... how to you cut the marimo moss so that it grows in? is it like gutting a fish?? cut the center and pull it paart to make almost a cone.. or strips?

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the larger marimo balls are hollow, so you just cut them in half and then cut or tear them into small patches and attach them to pebbles.

·
Banned
4,255 Posts
dudeeeee, i got this huge vase from michaels thats 2 gallons lol, saved a betta fish condemned to die in a school project and put it in there

sorry to jack your thread doll!

but either way, looks like this could be a fun llittle project!

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, michaels and beverlys actually have some pretty awesome stuff in their glassware sections. I know that michaels has 7" glass cubes like the Do!aqua ones, they have square glass trays that would be pretty cool for a wabi-kusa. I was considering picking one up but the molded glass was kind of bulky, so I got this circular vase instead.

·
Banned
4,255 Posts
yeah, michaels and beverlys actually have some pretty awesome stuff in their glassware sections. I know that michaels has 7" glass cubes like the Do!aqua ones, they have square glass trays that would be pretty cool for a wabi-kusa. I was considering picking one up but the molded glass was kind of bulky, so I got this circular vase instead.
they have something called like a hurricane vase large or something, and its about 2 gallons, i'll snap a pic and show you what it looks like.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.