The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gotten a package of plants today but I'm a bit confused. Shade mudflower and babytears, but which one is which? One is like a teensy tiny version of the other.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hmmmm. I'd say that H. micranthmoides can grow tall...if you let it. I tell them apart by the leaves. The HM has more narrow and pointed leaves, while the MU has more rounded, circular leaves.

I used to really enjoy my HM and I've been meaning to try UM. Nice plants, IMO.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Micranthemum umbrosum is the larger of the two, and mine grows like crazy. I throw away a bucketfull every 2 weeks....it reaches the top of my 48" show tank.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch! I guess I'm in for a bunch of pruning. I also noticed the babytears has tiny little green flowers. How cute!

·
Registered
706 Posts
both are weeds in the right conditions. UM has a nasty tendency to grow bushy and then rot at the roots when it gets shaded, the whole mass then floats up and is impossible to replant as its so bouyant. finally gave up after 3 10x12" bushes floated/pulled up and gave it away. strangely, my e. triandra does the same thing and grows in massive bush form till it pulls up and floats.... going rip up my HM this weekend, as its formed a solid wall in one corner of my 120g and looks more like a box with leaves on it than a bush plant. its rotting away at the base also due to lack of light getting to the root portions. gonna try some rotala ceylon, rotala vietnam and diplis diandra and see if that does any better (with a little more diligent triming of course).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a bush of HM in my tank, it started as a few strands that came with some fish, and months later it is the size of a cantalope. I keep cutting all of the runners back and give it a trim every once in a while down to a softball size. I think I will try and sculpt it into a shape like a triangle or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts