The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys! i have a problem setting up my new tank!

i bought a package of green miracle gro organic soil... and today put them in(trying to wash them...) and add water, trying to let them clear up so that when i ACTUALLY put caps on them and set up the tank, that they would not foul the water too much... but ALL soil are flowing now! nothing sinks! what should i do? i add a bucket of gravel and does nothing! shall i do something?! i really DONT wanna wait... my plants are dying~(cause they are floating...):crying::frown2:

thank you for the help! i really would appreciate1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your post is a little hard to understand, are you washing the soil? Also if you can you should use the orange bag, not green. Green has these white things that will float up from your substrate. Orange is organic and has none of that.

Follow these steps:
Empty Tank
Add 1" of soil
Add gravel
SLOWLY add water with a small siphon, just an inch or two over the gravel
Plant plants
Siphon the rest of the water into the tank

·
Registered
142 Posts
The purpose of the cap is to prevent the soil from floating. What you are going to have to do is drain the tank without sucking out the dirt.

The best way that I can think of to solve your problem is to let it sit without any filter or any disturbances for at least a few hours preferably a day or two. Scoop off and dispose of everything that is still floating. Then wait for everything to settle again and drain as much water as possible. Once the water is gone put your cap on the dirt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your post is a little hard to understand, are you washing the soil? Also if you can you should use the orange bag, not green. Green has these white things that will float up from your substrate. Orange is organic and has none of that.

Follow these steps:
Empty Tank
Add 1" of soil
Add gravel
SLOWLY add water with a small siphon, just an inch or two over the gravel
Plant plants
Siphon the rest of the water into the tank

sorry if my posts are hard to understand..since english is not my native alnguage:wink2:.yes i am washing the soil..
but a weird thing is that my green package DOES NOT contain any of those white nitrogen thing! is that? well it says hat it is organic...and miracle gro...so???

The purpose of the cap is to prevent the soil from floating. What you are going to have to do is drain the tank without sucking out the dirt.

The best way that I can think of to solve your problem is to let it sit without any filter or any disturbances for at least a few hours preferably a day or two. Scoop off and dispose of everything that is still floating. Then wait for everything to settle again and drain as much water as possible. Once the water is gone put your cap on the dirt.
yeah, i am not putting anything in yet...a day or two is fine with me...so what am i supposed to do is:

let them sit...for 1 day.

change water? as much as possible?

and then add gravel? that it?

and what if i don't have enough gravel? can i get away from that? (time is no problem...)(and trying biotope!)

:wink2:

thank you guys for helping! i appreciates it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds good then if you have the organic one! And yeah, you're letting the dirt settle at the bottom, then capping it with gravel. If you don't have enough gravel you'll keep getting dirt coming up into your water, try not to disturb the dirt too much until you get the gravel in. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so today i drains out most of the water and capped about 1 cm gravel on one side(i am tired...) so gonna leave them overnight.

so tomorrow i wanna Finnish capping and start my planting and aquascape.

any ideas how?

can i do a 3 cm cap? on a 5 cm soil? thanks!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
3 cm is a reasonable cap.
Do not add water right away. When the soil is damp you can put the rocks and wood in, then plant. Mist the plants (spray them with water) occasionally.

When you are ready to fill the tank put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and run the water in slowly onto the bag so it seeps into the substrate without disturbing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Diana!
do i have to recycle the tank again?(even though i already have the...cycled filter)

and do i let the tank settle down WITH the filter for a week? thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.