The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for ways to save money with this system (going from a reef tank and $80 bulbs every 6 months)

So plants want a full spectrum light, I found this 6500K bulb.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/65-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/9190/

now that is a 65watt, but puts out 300watts equivalent light... take out the strike and you I would be putting about what my 175 watt MH puts into the tank, at MUCH less heat and MUCH less electricity. Plus the bulbs are $40 less.

I was planning on also having 2 24watt HO t-5 10000K bulbs. I want the 10KK to knock down some of the yellow that a 6000K bulb has for our viewing.

Would this set up do well. On a 50 gallon tank I would be getting about 200 Watts into the water. or about 4WPG.

Here is an image of my reflector setup, it is pretty darn efficient.

What do you think... will that work for me?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Might be OK but you can't really use the CFL to incandescent number to do anything other than compare cost of operation. You're going from MH to CFL and I don't think there's any comparison.

I'd start from scratch and go all T5 with at least two ballasts so you have more control.

SteveU

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I hope you noticed that that 65 watt bulb is almost a foot long, and 3 1/2 inches in diameter - it must be very heavy too. You would almost have to have a reflector made for the bulb in order to have enough room for it. It would make a lot more sense to get an AH Supply 55 watt light kit, or just buy the ballast, bulb and bulb connector. You would get a lot more light from that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the more I read, the less I like the spiral bulbs. So now to decide, mh or t5

I have a newish MH bulb in there now... It is 15000 K, so that wont work... hummm....

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
A metal halide light is not incandescent. The 65 watt CFL does not produce as much light as a 175W MH, not even close. It produces the some amount of light as a 300 watt incandescent.

The 65W cfl produces 3400 lumens. A 175W watt MH produces somewhere around 15,000

1 - 6 of 6 Posts