The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know...I've had a few of these threads already.

Anyone know which would grow plants better? 2x96W PC lighting or 2x70w MH lighting?

I don't have a PAR meter and no spectral graphs for the bulbs.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two different color temperatures. For reefing, the MH is either 10K, 14K, or 20K, and the PC are for actinic supplementation.

But I'm wondering of 192W of PC is better over a 40 gallon tank, or would 140W of MH be better?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I can't give you a 100% answer but 2x70w MH would look pretty cool!

Aren't there 6,500k MH bulbs? Not sure if they come in 70w DE or not though.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It sounds like a lot of light over a 40G, to me. But I suppose if you want high dosing etc for HC and some popping reds...

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I've been running 2 1x96w Aqualights over my 40g tank for a couple of years now. It is a lot of light. But because of the fixture size I don't like the coverage when I have only one of them lit (both are on for only the middle 4 hours of the light period).

I'd get a 4x39w T-5 Tek if I were to start over. Going with a MH-only fixture means you have all or nothing, unless you buy a very expensive dimmable ballast.

To me, what would be an ideal light would be a 2x70w MH + 2x39w T-5. Then you can have decent level of viewing light from the T-5s along with the mid-day blast of the MHs. I don't know of anyone who makes such a fixture, but you could do it with retrofit kits. :)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked out some prices. The retrofit for the 2x39w T5s would cost as much as two retros for the 70W!

Tek/SLR Reflectors: $40 @ $20 each
Workhorse 5 ballast: $25
Bulbs: $30 @ $15 each
Cord: $5
Waterproof endcaps: $20 @ $10 per set
Endcap stand-offs: $14 @ $7 per set

$134 plus tax and shipping.

Each 70W retro would cost ~$70. Of course, the MH reflectors (Brinks hood) are sub-par to the Tek/IceCap SLR reflectors for the T5, but man...this lighting stuff really puts a hole in your pockets!

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha. Tell me about it. That's why I'm still using those Aqualights.

One thing a few of us have found is that the NO T-5 bulbs look to be as bright as the HO bulbs when run off of a HO ballast. So you could get some NO tubes for $8 each at Hellolights.com.
Thanks for the tip! :)

Maybe I can do the 70W retros for now and if I get an algae farm, I could figure out how to retro in 2x39w. Hmmm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.