The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - I'm interested in Metal Halides that would fit in the hood for my 110. It's 4'x2' and 30" high.
I'd rather purchase a kit than build my own (i am willing to do this if this is my only option though - i'm a pretty handy guy).

Any thoughts? What companies sell these sorts of things?

My ultimate plan is to have a 48" power compact strip (which I already have) and two MH 150W's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops, maybe I was wrong and it's 4'x18" - I am 100% sure it's 110g as I just bought the tank new a year ago.

Anyhow - more importantly - about the lights. I'm willing to spend a chunk of change. I see the retrofit kits, 2X175W, from reefgeek for $350-$450 - I'm assuming this would be ideal?

Now, my hood is a wooden case above the tank, although the top of it is slatted (wide, 2" openings the length of the tank) and the back is completely open. Would I still need to intall a fan?

Would 2 175W MH's in conjunction with a power compact strip be a good amount of light? (and yes, I am going to have pressurized CO2).

·
Registered
558 Posts
2x175w MH will be enough without the pc light. The pc lighting will fill in the shadows left from the MH. You will most likely run the pc lighting for the majority of the photo period with a couple of hour burst from the MH. The MH under a hood also are going to run pretty hot. High light is careful balancing act, stay on top of your dosing and CO2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.