The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55gal. tank,48"longx 20" deep,would I need to use 2- 175watt mh or could I use 1-400 watt mh and would I need to supplament with something else?I plan on having the lights about 20 to 24 inches above the tank for air bourne plants,so would the mh that far above the tank lessen the wattage the tank recieves?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would go with 2 175w for a better light spread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:thumbsup: Thank you,but do you think that the light will penetrate if I have the fixtures 20 to 24 inches above surface?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know if it would penetrate but I've tried using 1 150w MH with supplemental light over a 36" long aquarium and was not satisfied. Maybe you could use 2 250w.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My opinion is you would lose alot of the light the MH throws. You will have just as much light hitting the floor around the tank as there was going into it. The whole reason people keep it close to the top is to get as much light into the tank. With that you should probably use 2 250W to make sure you are getting enough light to the bottom of the tank. I am planning an open top tank also and I have my light setup for 8" above the tank. The only way to make sure you are getting enough light to the bottom is to buy one of those lux meters and measure it. See if you can adjust the reflectors so you can concentrate the light more straight down then at an angle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, that is what i was looking for.I am looking at a dual 175 watt retro kit.I thought if I modified the reflectors I could concentrate the light more on the tank.In the description on the lights it says that each fixture will cover a 2' x2' section,so if I drop the lights down to around 12" to 10" I should be o.k. right.Also I wouldn't need the extra wattage of the 250's.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you are going to that expense, is there room for a 75 gallon or a 90 gallon? It would give you alot more depth to plant in - foreground etc...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are going to that expense, is there room for a 75 gallon or a 90 gallon? It would give you alot more depth to plant in - foreground etc...
I wish.The only reason I'm getting away with the lights is that I had an extra 50 gal. laying around.The wife isn't to happy about the tank right now but once its done she'll love it.It will be the first tank in our living room.It will also be used to divide the living room from the dining room.We have a small house,so the tank will be the main focus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts