The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this thread on aquabid.com and it's close by. The guy really wants to get rid of it. If I switch the bulb to a 10K do you think it would be a good light for my 75g, with a few supplementals?

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?lighting&1174176908

Thanks I don't know much about MH's, but this seems like a good deal. I can't get the guy to send me a shot of the reflector/pendant, though. :(

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
That's one 400 watt fixture. A MH pendant is good for a 2x2 area. So half your tank will be getting 400 watts. Now mind you that 400 watts on a 75 gallon is a monster amount of light. 400 watts on half a 75 gallon tank is an impossible amount of light for a planted tank.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, which is why I put "supplementals". I'm just trying to get a feel for whether something looks strikingly wrong with this fixture, as I don't have much experience.

What do you think it would be worth, 1 year old?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's too much light. Pure and simple. Part of your tank would have over 10 wpg.
Yea, I see your point. Why would they make 400w lighting that only covers 2x2 area? Reef tanks? now there's an idea....lol

Burks, thanks for the link. I don't REALLY want MH, i just happened to notice what I thought might be a great deal on a powerful light fixture. maybe TOO powerful!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yea, I see your point. Why would they make 400w lighting that only covers 2x2 area? Reef tanks? now there's an idea....lol

I had 3 400w MHs on my 180g reef tank. The reason is for coral and clams. They need such intense lighting..Reefs are a different monster...we dont go by the wpg rule. Instead it takes the consideration of the depth of the tank and recommend lighting based off of what you want to keep and the depth.

Now on to your auction. Its not necessarily a bad deal..however I would be suspect if the seller is refusing to give you any pics of the pendant/reflector. It could mean there is a problem with them and he is being dishonest about it. Personally I wouldnt do mhs on a planted tank...I dont think plants need that much intensity. On top of that it will raise your electric bill quite a bit, along with raising your water temps and room temps..

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
...I dont think plants need that much intensity. On top of that it will raise your electric bill quite a bit, along with raising your water temps and room temps..
You dont get too much intensity by it merely being MH. They have MH down to 70W commonly available. And it doesn’t mean your electric bill will go up, if you have a good bulb and reflector and good electronic ballast the efficiency will be at or above fluorescent lighting so you could potentially save money. Sometimes the extra heat could be beneficial to, if your room is cool as like in a finished basement it just means you heaters wont be working as hard during the day. There are different ways to look at those things, they have advantages and disadvantages. If it were me, I'd be only using a quality and efficient electronic ballast like the icecap with a quality reflector (not those bell shaped hanging pendants), something like the PFO parallel reflector or at the very least a spider reflector.

I'd probably skip that auction though, the seller makes no point to indicate anything about it other than 20,000K and his estimated life. What kind of ballast is that, brand? I dont know, but if I were selling something that was good I'd be putting a lot more effort into clearly showing it all and stating all the specs.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for more feedback. I am gonna skip it, mainly due to suspicion of the seller....as crazy said, he won't give me any brand names or even what type of ballast it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.