The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have 142g tank 59"x23"x23".
Light- 2 bulbs metal halide 150w each, 6500k both.

Co2 (indicator- light green always), 6h photoperiod, EI ferts.

I had some algae but that's because I was setup the lights to close to the surface couple of weeks ago.
Now, the lights are about 13" above the surface.
still have some algae...
Someone has experience with MH and can tell me how much inch above the water surface I should setup the light?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I think the fixture height depends on the reflector angle so the light aim at the water surface. Also, at 13” height it produces only 26 PAR which is poor light intensity at your depth. I would move them closer, about 6” to get 40 PAR which is medium light intensity.
(Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Light Calculator)

Beautiful Altums!!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
In looking at your lighting, I think it looks dim in the corners. You might try removing all the junk on top of the tank top. You might get a much more even light that way.

When I used MH, I found distance from the water surface made a big difference, but it's something you just need to try. Lower tends to put a lot more light directly under the bulb and can leave the ends looking dim. Higher tends to spread the light out better, but it's not as intense.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all!
All the junk will be removed once I'll get my suspension kit I've ordered...
For now I'm trying 13", looks ok but the plants aren't pearling like in the past...
Both sides are dimmed like altums preferring. That's way all the plants are in the center.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My concern is that all the stuff you have stored on top are being blasted by UV light from these bulbs. This might shorten the shelf life and damage the integrity of the plastic bottles/containers.

Might be best to quickly set up a temporary storage place well shaded, away from the tank lights.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My concern is that all the stuff you have stored on top are being blasted by UV light from these bulbs. This might shorten the shelf life and damage the integrity of the plastic bottles/containers.

Might be best to quickly set up a temporary storage place well shaded, away from the tank lights.

I took off all the junk...
Anyway, I'm waiting my suspension kit that should arrive soon...
Then the MH will be 13" hanger above the surface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts