The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ended up picking up a 6 gallon led edge on cyber Monday to have something to play with for my desk. I'm planning on making my first attempt at something along the lines of an Iwagumi layout.

My question is this; since I'm planning a very spartan layout with only two maybe three plant species(Marsilea minuta for a carpet, and microswords in the backround) and the Edge even with LEDs has a limited potential in terms of lighting. What's a good substrate choice for this tank. I've been moderately successful in doing dirt bottomed tanks in my other setups and was thinking of doing that again. Say an inch of MGOPS capped with Fluval Stratum. Does this sound like it'll work good?

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Fluval Stratum is too light to use as a cap for dirt. You'll have problems later on with dirt being exposed to the water column. Use sand or Flourite instead.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was wondering about that as I've never used Stratum before. I guess it'll have to wait until I get time to run up to tractor supply and get some black diamond.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts