The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there ~
I am going to be tearing down my 55, which has MGOPS under a 50/50 mix of Lowes pea gravel and FloraMax from Petsmart.
I'm planning on drying out the mix & reusing it - it will be a few weeks before I get the tank set up again.
At the same time I redo the 55, I'll be setting up another 55 and two 29s. I've read on occasion that people use worm castings in their substrate. We sell earthworn castings where I work, can I mix some into the MGOPS? What is the benefit to that, other than added ferts for the plants, and can it negatively effect water parameters for fish?
I also have a stash of osmocote capsules, so I don't really need to add castings unless they are to-die-for - lol.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I've added supplements to the MG soil on the setup but the tank is not old enough to show yet whether there will be benefit or not. No harm I can say now but let you know in 3 years if it helped LOL.

The osmocote capsules I don't care for as the empty shells seem to find their way out of my capping material and that irritates me. Rather than mixing the worm castings my thought would be to add them in a layer at the bottom of the tank. Make the plants root down to get into it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.