The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tablet of iron, as long as the ingredient(s) are the same, is fine whether it is meant for aquarium use or not??

So if I take the tablet and crush it up, how many miligrams do i need?? I would dissolve it in water for future use and so it is easier to use.
And how often should i use it?? I have nothing to monitor the levels of iron. I have 1 amazon sword, 2 dwarf swords, 2 veryyy larger bunches of anacharis, 2 banana plants, a couple small java ferns and something else im forgetting . . . in a 3.5 gallon tank. So I'm guessing that i should be dosing more then if it were in a bigger tank?? I am planning on getting a couple more plants, as i am QTing before they go in my 25 gallon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it's a tablet for humans, you should look into the drug information insert that goes along with it. It's made with excipients that take up a bulk of the mass of the pill/tablet. They're meant to not affect the absorption or bioavailabilty when taken orally, but I'm not sure how they would affect fish if it were to dissolve into solution.

Iron level should be between 0.1-1 ppm in an aquarium. From 0, to get to the initial concentration of 0.2 ppm, you 18.8 mg of chelated iron in your 25 gallon aquarium. Depending on how much your plants uptake, you will need to dose again after a certain point to keep that concentration. I'm not sure after the initial dose, and someone will have to help you with that.

·
Super Moderator
12,055 Posts
You may want to take a look at what form the iron in the pills is in. For example, if it is ferrous sulfate, it will not be as bioavailable compared to other forms (EDTA chelated iron, etc).

In addition, it is likely much cheaper to just get a trace mix and dose iron that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts