The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my wife and I want to make this taco salad dish, where everything is in the tortilla bowl --- do you know what I'm talking about yet? I think Taco bell has something like that.
Anyway, we want to make our own. I think it's usually made with a flour tortilla that's either baked or deep fried, but we're not sure how to prepare it. We also don't have a deep fryer, so oven baking would seem to be the only option. Has anyone else tried this? Not sure what the best method would be to make it keep a round shape while cooking.
I'm getting hungry for lunch, can't you tell?
Thanks.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, for anyone out there who's interested, I found some good instructions after searching a bit. It seems that Emeril has a pretty good method of preparing this.
Emeril's taco salad for kids includes making your own bowl

FWIW, the cafe at my work serves taco bowls every Thursday, but they're pricey (~$7) and are deep fried. This will be better, plus my wife can enjoy it with me.
-Ryan

·
Registered
324 Posts
Don't they sell those bowls at the grocery store? Taco Bell brand or something like that...

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Ok, for anyone out there who's interested, I found some good instructions after searching a bit. It seems that Emeril has a pretty good method of preparing this.
Emeril's taco salad for kids includes making your own bowl

FWIW, the cafe at my work serves taco bowls every Thursday, but they're pricey (~$7) and are deep fried. This will be better, plus my wife can enjoy it with me.
-Ryan
Thats great! Emeril is the guy BAM! But those small deep fryers are sooo nice!

Don't they sell those bowls at the grocery store? Taco Bell brand or something like that...
They're not the same... and REALLY REALLY small like 4inches by 3 inches by 1 inch... Or where when we last tried to get them.

I ended up just using a bowl last time I had a taco salad was at a mexican restaraunt though and let me tell you.. the bowl must be the best part! VERY light and flakey!

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, the bowl *is* the best part. I usually find myself dismantling it before I'm done eating what's inside. We're going to try either the above-mentioned method, or the same thing using a large pyrex bowl instead of the stainless steel (same idea though). I think the bread is something other than regular flour tortillas though. It's more light and flakey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts