The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people are using Metricide 14 instead of Excel and getting good results? I'm considering switching since I can get a gallon of Metricide 14 for about $20, but I'm naturally a little nervous.

Also if I do get the Metricide, should I dilute it or dose it straight?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi there... i just did this myself to save money on Excel. I bought Metricide 14 off of Amazon, and some graduated cylinders. There is actually an app you can dowload to your phone that lets you plug in the concentration of Metricide and the concentration of Excel, the volume of container you are mixing in (i used 1000ml). Then it tells you how much Metricide to use and how much to dilute with water. Works great! Some people use it straight but i prefer to dilute it and then does according to the Excel directions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Will you share the app name? Thanks

Hi there... i just did this myself to save money on Excel. I bought Metricide 14 off of Amazon, and some graduated cylinders. There is actually an app you can dowload to your phone that lets you plug in the concentration of Metricide and the concentration of Excel, the volume of container you are mixing in (i used 1000ml). Then it tells you how much Metricide to use and how much to dilute with water. Works great! Some people use it straight but i prefer to dilute it and then does according to the Excel directions.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I've heard on here that Glut is 2x the Excel strength.
I've also heard on here that people commonly dose twice the amount
recommended for Excel...when using Excel.
Isn't there someone who knows rather than thinks what the concentration is ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
The concentration is on the bottles. Excel is at 1.6%. For Metricide 14 is 2.6%. Other brands of glut. have differing percentages. That info is also readily available online.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts