The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out please. I searched but nothing came up. What is the water to Metricide 14 ratio and the duration for an algae plant dip? Typical me I just guessamated and left my plants soaking during a water change and you guessed it----MELT!! But that algae was DEAD!!
THANKS

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have an empty Excel 500ml bottle and I found on here somewhere to mix 300ml Metricide to 200ml distilled water makes Excel strength . Has been working fine for me .
I just use hydrogen peroxide for algae dips . I put plants in a shallow container and put straight H2O2 on them for a few minutes .

Reactions: thedood

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have an empty Excel 500ml bottle and I found on here somewhere to mix 300ml Metricide to 200ml distilled water makes Excel strength . Has been working fine for me ,
I just received my metricide in the mail this morning and plan on mixing mine as you have described.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I'm seeking to do is a plant dip. I know it's stronger than Excel. In my experience H2O2 fries my plants. Don't want to do it by trial an error if I can help it.
THANKS

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I would use excel strength. A lot of people shut off the filters for a bit and dose glut directly on bba with a syringe or turkey baster using the prescribed quantity for tank size up to double the dose. They then just hit a different spot daily. Are you removing the plants from the tank for this or are they still in the tank? I left mine in the tank and just doubled the dose and killed the bba with no side effects. I'm not targeting the dose because I dont really have time in the morning when I dose. If I had time that's how I would do it, target dose and just leave the plants in the tank. Less stress to the plants and same results.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am removing just the affected plants to dip them. So I need the dose, to say, make a gallon of dip. I don't really like dosing the whole tank.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am removing just the affected plants to dip them. So I need the dose, to say, make a gallon of dip. I don't really like dosing the whole tank.
It is really a misconception of yours to think that you "just need to treat the affected plants" and you can get rid of the problem.

It doesn't really matter whether you remove just the affected plants and dip them, or do a "spot treatment" on location (treating the plant at its location will actually cause less stress). If you want to absolutely get rid of the problem, you have to drastically change the underlying conditions that caused the problem in the first place.

In general, once you get spores of the pest algae into your tank, you absolutely have to sterilize the entire tank to get rid of the algae. A less drastic alternative and more used is a method where you change the conditions in your tank (e.g. lowering the pH from 7 to 6) to give the existing spores unfavorable growth conditions.

To use a dip bath, on the other hand, is ALWAYS a good idea when you want to treat plants before you introduce them into your tank for the first time. Here btw, H2O2 is the much better treatment than glutaraldehyde, because it reacts rapidly and is so much more efficient, and LESS toxic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts