The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Metricide 14 as an algaecide in my high light tank and also glut carbon supplement in my low tech tank. My question is regarding its active life in water. It's my understanding that when introduced to the tank, just like seachem excel, it is available is a carbon supplement within 12 hours. After an additional time period, if not used by plants, is it still available as carbon or turned inactive? I'm asking because when I dilute a mixture in a seperate bottle I'm mixing in water and the solution may sit for a couple weeks. No point in mixing a solution if it will become inactive after a certain period of time because of the water I'm adding in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. So it's active for 12 hours and turned unactive after another 12 hours. If light is the driving factor it's an easy fix. But if bacteria is also a driving factor, isn't there enough bacteria in tap water to turn it unactive after a while. My tap has chloramines but there still has to be bacteria in it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I seriously doubt there is enough bacteria in the water to break down the gluteraldehyde. I'd imagine that at that high a concentration the glut would kill the bacteria instead. But if you're concerned about it, just use boiled water or bottled distilled water.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Glutaradehyde is stable in acidic solution, at a pH of 5.5. And that is how it's shipped.

Raising the pH makes it unstable, but greatly boosts its disinfectant properties, which is what most people use it for. The "activator" is nothing more than a chemical that raises pH.

Diluting it with tapwater will typically raise the pH enough that it loses some potency sitting in a bottle over a few weeks.

So if you want a diluted shelf-stable solution, the simplest way is to use distilled water, which doesn't alter pH. Tapwater can be used instead if you pH test, and add an acid to bring the pH back down to 5.5 if necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
So if you want a diluted shelf-stable solution, the simplest way is to use distilled water, which doesn't alter pH. Tapwater can be used instead if you pH test, and add an acid to bring the pH back down to 5.5 if necessary.
How much distilled water ratio to a gallon of metricide to dillute? I find metricide has a strong odor without diluting.

Sent from Android-powered device using Tapatalk2

·
Registered
92 Posts
Metricide 14 is 2.6% gluteraldehyde, and excel is 1.5%. The easy dilution would be to just mix about 50% water and 50% metricide 14. That'd get you to about the proper amount. This is the way I do it...I just add a dash more to the tank when I dose it.

If you want to get exactly 1.5% you'd have to do a little more work. I have an excel spreadsheet that tells you exactly how much metricide and water to mix to get whatever volume of 1.5% glut you want, but I can't remember where I got it from so I can't post a link. I just checked it though, and to make 500 mL of 1.5% solution (the volume of one of the tall bottles of excel), you would add 288 mL of metricide 14 and 212 mL of water.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Thanks.

I forgot to mention that I dose less of the full concentrated metricide to get excel strength. but its the odor that I can't stand. Dillution with distilled water would lessen strong odor.

Sent from Android-powered device using Tapatalk2

·
Super Moderator
12,130 Posts
If you want to get exactly 1.5% you'd have to do a little more work. I have an excel spreadsheet that tells you exactly how much metricide and water to mix to get whatever volume of 1.5% glut you want, but I can't remember where I got it from so I can't post a link. I just checked it though, and to make 500 mL of 1.5% solution (the volume of one of the tall bottles of excel), you would add 288 mL of metricide 14 and 212 mL of water.
You just need to use the formula m1v1 = m2v2

(2.6%)(x) = (1.5%)(Desired final volume)

So, say you want 500 mL

x = (1.5%)(500 mL)/(2.6%)

x = 288 mL Metricide 14, and then top off to 500 mL with water, as you mentioned.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Metricide 14 is 2.6% gluteraldehyde, and excel is 1.5%. The easy dilution would be to just mix about 50% water and 50% metricide 14. That'd get you to about the proper amount. This is the way I do it...I just add a dash more to the tank when I dose it.

Hi All,

If you want a downloadable Excel speadsheet to compute the volumes of glut and water to achieve a 1.5% solution it is available in the AquaBard (post #10) in this thread. I use 50% concentration glutaraldehyde and dilute it to 1.5% and this calculator has been handy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I completely forgot about this thread. Distilled water makes the most sense if diluting the solution. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.