The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
I recognize diamond black there. Good economical choice. Tanks look great! Almost everyone in my family teaches in some capacity, so more power to you, and you are most certainly underpaid for the impact and importance of your work with the future of our country, thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im loving this. It makes me happy to see a teacher doing something like this with such passion with their kids. I wish I had a teacher like that lol I can only hope my kids will have a teacher like you when they hit middle school. Otherwise I will feel like they missed out on something spectacular

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is the coolest class ever! I would be more then happy to donate plants and hard scape. I'm sending a pm to see what's needed. Tanks are looking good class. Subscribed!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fellow Marylander here. We haven't started having kids yet but I'm hoping they end up in your class one day! Happy to see a teacher going outside the box like this.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Today, I was thinking about what you're doing with your class, and it brought back memories from elementary school science class. Each year, our teacher had a special project like this for us. Third grade was raising beetles from mealworms. The next year we had isopods and snails. The next two years, I can't remember which came first, but we had anoles one year and toads and frogs the next. We had these terrariums set up for them and that in itself was fun, let alone getting the animals for it.

I look back fondly on that as one of the highlights of elementary school for me. And I'm glad to help your students feel the same.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I recognize that rock tube! Glad its being used, Ive backed down my fish keeping from 11 tanks to 3.
We still have a lot of your stuff hanging around! I believe that's your spiderwood in my shrimp tank with moss all over it. There's definitely a big hunk of bolbitis in one of the tanks too.

I recognize diamond black there. Good economical choice. Tanks look great! Almost everyone in my family teaches in some capacity, so more power to you, and you are most certainly underpaid for the impact and importance of your work with the future of our country, thank you.
Thank you! My wife convinced me to switch careers from science (which I liked) to teaching science (which I LOVE). I have the best job.

I got hooked on black diamond from others on this forum who suggested it was the cheapest easy substrate to either use solo or use as a soil capping material. I like that it really holds plants down.

Im loving this. It makes me happy to see a teacher doing something like this with such passion with their kids. I wish I had a teacher like that lol I can only hope my kids will have a teacher like you when they hit middle school. Otherwise I will feel like they missed out on something spectacular
I hope that this project can keep growing during my tenure here. Of my 19 current students, at least four got a tank for Christmas. All of those know how to keep fish correctly and that plants are at the very least a good tool to keeping a healthy tank.

This is the coolest class ever! I would be more then happy to donate plants and hard scape. I'm sending a pm to see what's needed. Tanks are looking good class. Subscribed!

Thank you so much! I responded to your pm. You're in good company; several of the recent posts are from friends of our class. Maybe it's time I post a picture of my map... :grin2:

Fellow Marylander here. We haven't started having kids yet but I'm hoping they end up in your class one day! Happy to see a teacher going outside the box like this.
Just doing what I love. I plan on sticking around for a good long while.

Today, I was thinking about what you're doing with your class, and it brought back memories from elementary school science class. Each year, our teacher had a special project like this for us. Third grade was raising beetles from mealworms. The next year we had isopods and snails. The next two years, I can't remember which came first, but we had anoles one year and toads and frogs the next. We had these terrariums set up for them and that in itself was fun, let alone getting the animals for it.

I look back fondly on that as one of the highlights of elementary school for me. And I'm glad to help your students feel the same.
Thank taking what you learned and paying it forward to us!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts