The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting back into planted tanks after a year long hiatus.

I'm hoping to enter this into the 2015 IAPLC and AGA contest. There doesn't seem to be a lot of participation from the USA (only 10 in 2014's IAPLC from 2000+ entries).

The idea for the scape is that there's an explosion from either a meteor or maybe an erupting volcano on the left side, and the two arches are from magma shooting over to the right.

Currently only have some anubias nana petite, but will add riccardia, Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo, belem hairgrass, and HC.

Will probably keep this as a dry start for a while. No ideas yet for fish but will probably do a large school of a single species. Maybe green neon tetras?
Thanks for looking!

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some plants in and added it to the tank.

The monte carlo is nice, a little on the bigger side so I'll keep it towards the front and have HC towards the back for a more forced perspective. I might just let the whole ground cover blend together for a more natural look though.

Got a massive amount of riccardia (mini pelia) from Tom Barr and added it to all the nooks and crannies of the ohko stone. I'm not gluing it down, but I'm hoping that if I leave it for a few weeks the moss will attach itself to the stone. If by the time it comes to fill, it hasn't stuck, I'll glue it down with some super glue.

Picking up some e. belem and HC later this week to round out everything, then comes the waiting game....

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I filled the tank today. The mini pelia was looking ratty and a lot of it was browning, so I decided to just fill it in. The goal wasn't for it to grow all over, but more to just have it attach itself to the rock, which it did so I figured it was time. I was hoping for a full carpet by now before I filled it in but it didn't happen. Oh well, I'm cranking the co2 and hopefully the plants will fill in quickly.

I haven't decided on fish yet and unfortunately I can't keep any shrimp (they always seem to die, I think it's my building's plumbing thats killing them, might be copper or something in the tap water)

Here's a quick snapshot, the tank is still very cloudy.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts