The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just had a question about a metal Hallide fixture I was hoping someone could help me with.

Are MH fixtures just for saltwater? Or can they be used for freshwater setups as well? The reason I ask is there is one for sale on my local classified website that I am interested in, but I have no experience with MH lighting. Here is a link to the fixture:

coralife metal hallide/PC fixture - Castanet Classifieds

Would this fixture be too much light for a 60G, ~20" deep tank? Also, is it priced fairly? And lastly, if I find out the bulbs need replacing, is it still worth getting, or are the bulbs pricey enough to make it not worthwhile?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It's too much light but you can use it. ADA makes amazing 8000K 150 watt bulbs and there are other good quality 5000-8000K 150 watt bulbs out there. The fishneedit 8000K were very nice colored bulbs for a planted tank and cost $20 each. Just the compact fluorescents might be enough as well. You would need to hang the fixture over the tank and couldn't run the lights for long. It is basically like 2 ADA Grand Solar fixtures. ADA runs mostly the fluorescent and the MH for very short periods of time and they are hung high over the tank.

It would be a case of spend less now and pay more forever as that is a ridiculous amount of wattage for your tank and bulbs are costly. Unless the bulbs can be used for your tank as is I'd price a full set of 4 bulbs and add to the actual purchase price.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
All you have to do is raise the pendant to get the par reading that you want at the substrate. Probably don't need to run the PC's. Metal halides are nice because the light cast shadows and has a good spectrum vs. some led's that are reported to have problems growing red plants. But you are spending money to drive 300 watts compared to a comparible 85 watt led. And LED's last forever. These are neat and you might be able to do one in a 60 gallon, if you don't mind the noise of a fan, and can up the budget:

Amazon.com : Aquatic Life Halo Deluxe LED Reef Fixture : Pet Supplies

And chances are the bulbs are for a reef tank so you will have to spend another $200 for bulbs. Or less, don't know how cheap you can get HQI bulbs for.

Metal Halide Lamp NAMH-150W [108-036] - $95.00 : Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.