The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new tank set up. Do you guys know what is the best online site to order some metal halides bulb for cheap. I have 2 right now but they are 20000 k use for reef. I want to take out that 2 and put in 2 10000k instead. I also want to ask the ballast output is 250 watts, can I put in a 175 or 150 watt bulb and it wont burn out the ballast? Im thinking about running it on the 140 gallon since its a tall tank or I could just run it in the 180 gallon for about 2-3 hours a day plus the tek lights.

Pics are on here
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/supaflyz/

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Don't know of any sites, but eBay has some cheap bulbs. Not sure about the PAR/spectrum though.

And no, you'll have to use 250W bulbs...is it DE or SE?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not really good with these lights terminology. What is DE or Se?

·
Registered
54 Posts
DE refers to double ended, SE to single ended (it's a screw-in like your standard light bulb).
epic is right, ebay has everything for decent price. You can also check various online places- customaquatics.com, bigalsonline.com, marinedepot.com. etc etc the list goes on and on. I personally like mparkis.com because he's local and I can pickup (save on shipping). If you do end up ordering from him, can you tell him Mitch (phishphood) referred you. Let us know what you end up doing.

edit: epic..you beat me as I was typing the last sentence I think.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh got it now. I have to take the bulb out tommrow to see if they double or single ended.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you can see the bulb at all then you really don't have to take it out to check. The DE's run a lot shorter and narrower than the SE's. A typical SE bulb is around 6-8" long or so, few inches diameter, and only one side is stuck into something. HTH

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Must be single ended then.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read somewhere in this forum that you can stick a higher bulb wattage into a smaller ballast, but you cant do it vice versa.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd like to see that particular thread. In my experience and everything I've ever learned about halides (extensive saltwater use), you never want to do that. Besides, 400W SE bulbs run a lot more than 250W bulbs do. Even if it did light, there's no telling how long the bulb would last and/or any consequences (ie electrical fires etc).

·
Registered
140 Posts
with mh's, the bulb acts as a resistor and helps to control the ballast. so if you change the bulb up or down you'll damage the ballast and bulb. increasing your chance of failure and fire.

i'm using 175w se hamilton 10k K. i get them from a great lfs with even better prices, so i can't help you with the web shopping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts