The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an ex saltwater guy setting up a planted tank. I have two 250w, 6500k halides. Will this much light fry the plants? What about one halide? Tank is standard 75 gallon, fluorite &osmokote plus, pressureized co2. Hard scape is finished & filling water now (RODI)

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
I'm an ex saltwater guy setting up a planted tank. I have two 250w, 6500k halides. Will this much light fry the plants? What about one halide? Tank is standard 75 gallon, fluorite &osmokote plus, pressureized co2. Hard scape is finished & filling water now (RODI)
@ 8".. PAR values for asst. bulbs/ballasts in thw 250W range. Higher K range than 6500k but data should be close:

Basically one is a lot of light for a fw tank of 16- 18" depth..

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You can use MH on your tank, if you can mount them fairly far away from it. At one time, on my 90 gal planted tank I used two 150w 6500K MHs. I had them mounted about 18 inches above the tank. I'd say that for 250w MHs you want to start about 3 ft above the tank and adjust up or down as needed.

You can also get the same effect by useing translucent white plastic as a cover on the tank.

Consider also that MHs consume a lot of power and produce a lot of heat. Often it can be far less expensive, long term, to replace the lighting with LEDs or T5s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.