The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I am new to this forum but have done planted tanks before. I just had a lighting question, cause I was going to be setting up a reef and got everything ready and started cycling the tank but then the 50 gallon acrylic tank I bought on craigslist cracked and spilled all over my room. It was 50 gallons and Orr drilled so it would be very pricy to replace and I don't feel like spending >300 on a new one so I bought a 55 gallon glass and ordered 4 bags of Ecocomplete and am starting up a planted tank, but unfortunately the lights I have are for a reef, 2x 250 watt metal halide pendants with a dual sunlight supply co. Ballast, I was wondering how far I'd need to hang the lights above my tank to have enough wattage to grow plants well but not so much that I burn everything that I put in the tank... The pendants do have UV filters.

Thanks!

--Miles

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Nail the lights to the ceiling. lol

It's not the UV burn, it's the algae that you might be fighting unless you can crank up the CO2 and ferts big time. I know there's no way I could handle those lights on a FW tank. If it were me I'd sell the lights and pickup some T5's. The loss you take on the MH will be paid back in energy savings. 500 watts can make your meter spin.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Nail the lights to the ceiling. lol

It's not the UV burn, it's the algae that you might be fighting unless you can crank up the CO2 and ferts big time. I know there's no way I could handle those lights on a FW tank. If it were me I'd sell the lights and pickup some T5's. The loss you take on the MH will be paid back in energy savings. 500 watts can make your meter spin.
I agree, if you are going to use CO2 then get a T5HO 2 bulb fixture, if you don't want to use CO2 the get a T5NO 2 bulb fixture or T8 2 bulb fixture. Save yourself some serious cash on energy.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hey all! I am new to this forum but have done planted tanks before. I just had a lighting question, cause I was going to be setting up a reef and got everything ready and started cycling the tank but then the 50 gallon acrylic tank I bought on craigslist cracked and spilled all over my room. It was 50 gallons and Orr drilled so it would be very pricy to replace and I don't feel like spending >300 on a new one so I bought a 55 gallon glass and ordered 4 bags of Ecocomplete and am starting up a planted tank, but unfortunately the lights I have are for a reef, 2x 250 watt metal halide pendants with a dual sunlight supply co. Ballast, I was wondering how far I'd need to hang the lights above my tank to have enough wattage to grow plants well but not so much that I burn everything that I put in the tank... The pendants do have UV filters.

Thanks!

--Miles
You don't need even one of those MH bulbs. It's too much light. So do something else with them. Get whatever light you prefer.
Beside the oft mentioned T5HO type this is another light you might like to consider.
http://www.eiko.com/Products.aspx?CatID=94&ProductIndex=SP50/955K

This is the least expensive place for this bulb
http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/eiko_05622ek_sp50_955k.asp

I'm including this because it's relevant
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/146254-plants-able-grow-extreme-low-light.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would look at getting t5's rather than use the halides, it will save $ in the long run and most likely be easier to manage.

The halides use a bunch of electricity, replacement bulbs runs about $150-180, they put out a ton of heat into the room and tank and not to mention possible algae issues with too much light.

If you have a canopy look at getting a t5 retro fit, if not a 2 bulb t5ho fixture can be had for the same price or less than a set of halide replacement bulbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.