The Planted Tank Forum banner

Metal Halide Clamp Lights small enough for a Nano?

2244 6
I'm trying to improve my aquarium with a metal halide light.
It is a very small aquarium, 5 gal (16" x 8" x 8").

The clamp lights seem like a nice fit, because it would allow me to have the top of the aquarium open, so I could look down through the surface.
I am looking for something low-profile.

Do clamp light metal halides tend to brittle quickly?

Is there another DIY alternative that isn't a hood?

My searching for the past few days has not helped me much. I would greatly appreciate anything you have to offer.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Most MH are going to be way overkill for that size of tank and you may need to run a chiller to keep the water temps down.

Maybe check into an LED Fixture, would give hte same effects and not the insane heat.

Craig

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't know what your growing but metal halide for your freshwater tank will scare plants away from the light, not towards it

I would suggest mounting it way up over your tank, then you won't need a clamp and then you can also look into the tank from the top

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Viper 70 watt MH. Good for medium size planted aquaria but leaves alot of shadows.
But for a 5g tank its way overkill or I would be using one. I know of another member over at APC that has one mounted over his 5g reef tank and has to run a Chiller to keep the temps down.

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.