The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some duckweed in my 29 gallon, enough to cover the surface. About 90% of it is on the water's surface, the the other 10% is just floating around in the tank and it looks messy.

I turned off the filter for about 30 minutes but it still didn't rise to the top. So now I turned it back on but it looks the same except for some duckweed stuck to the filter intake tube.

Also, could I put some duckweed and java moss inside my filter so it has plant filtration?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
I put some duckweed in my 29 gallon, enough to cover the surface. About 90% of it is on the water's surface, the the other 10% is just floating around in the tank and it looks messy.

I turned off the filter for about 30 minutes but it still didn't rise to the top. So now I turned it back on but it looks the same except for some duckweed stuck to the filter intake tube.

Also, could I put some duckweed and java moss inside my filter so it has plant filtration?
duckweed will get stuck in filter no matter what...

i don't get the second question....plants in the filter would just clogg it up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
duckweed will get stuck in filter no matter what...

i don't get the second question....plants in the filter would just clogg it up?
I've seen threads about it here. People put plants hardy plants like java fern, java moss etc. inside their filter by the cartridge so the plants absorb the nitrates.

But anyways, the duckweed is being like thrown around the tank by the filter. It's making a big mess. My goldfish don't seem to care but it looks like someone shredded grass into my fish tank with all it flying around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Semi aquatic plants are commonly seen in filters not necessarily fully aquatic. But to fix the issue your having try removing flow for a few minutes and grab any duckweed thats not at the surface and take it out, then try again with the filter on to see if that helps
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top