The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a XP2 and after I clean it and refill the tank with water I flip the lever to refill my canister and it fills with clean tank water. The problem I have is after I plug it in a lot of brown gunk comes flowing into the tank and ruining my nice clean tank. It has to be coming out of the filter tubing. I'm sure that the gunk was knocked loose by the water rushing in and the air rushing out. How does one avoid this? It eventually settles and the water clears up but I would like to avoid it all together.

I clean my tubing about every four months. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have this happen all the time. I just wait for it to clear up. It's no big deal. So I have to wait for an extra 10 min. I can live with it.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
just get a cleaning brush and clean the tubes. I do it and it takes like 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I haven't had this problem the last couple of times I've cleaned the filter (must've finally run its course,) but what I was doing in my case was holding a bread pan under the spraybar (which I had raised a bit) on startup to catch the initial water, then lower the spraybar to its normal position. The bread pan just happened to be the right length. I don't make much bread ;). Any pan or container of the right size would do of course. If you have a vertically mounted spraybar this wouldn't work, you'd have to disconnect the spraybar and direct the outflow into your container.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
After you detach the filter...put a bucket under your inflow and outflow lines, and open up the lines (not familiar with the XP2, so if you can't do this ignore), and let the water drain into a bucket for a few seconds. This will backflush all the lines.

Just remember this is a siphon and will continue to drain until you stop it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts